All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:45 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Yeah, cheating is an interesting problem. I think more important is to the question why people cheat, rather than only looking at stopping it. If there's a flaw in the game design which sparks the interest of cheating, I think this can mostly be solved in game design.

There's of course always the portion of players who cheat only for destructive or competitive cheating. That's like the problem of an open society and criminality. It's always going to be there. I have seen experienced games where cheating was the norm (Interstate 82) and it was respected mostly across the community and I personally believed that at the thime without some of those hacks there would be no online community for this game, or at least not as big. Of course this game wasn't as skill driven and competative as TC:E.

I think it's more of a community outlook on it. If the community turns against cheating, I remember we used to have a chain of server admins who would sync and append each other's ban lists, I think that's also a way. I'm not aware of the current situation with ET hacks or to what extend the experience in Urban Terror suffers from it.

I don't know if the problem of cheating should really be a reason to not pursue development at all. I personally have a lot of fond memories playing TC, and if there was cheating I don't remember ever noticing it, and I was pretty much into all the technical bits. In the end it's still the memory of the experience that counts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:04 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

... to continue my last post.

Funny enough, from my perspective more or less all changes in CQB are exactly in the direction that Liquid suggested in his post above to continue the TC:E road. Maybe an important difference was that CBQ limited movement rather more than TCE did. For that reason already I would love to have Liq onboard and I still fail to see any disconsent on focus. Moreover, the new COD4 mod will be, like mentioned in the blog, somewhat faster again when compared to CQB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:09 pm 
Master
Master

coroner wrote:
For that reason already I would love to have Liq onboard and I still fail to see any disconsent on focus.

Finally :) Coroner was that so hard ? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:18 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

yeah sounds encouraging, we just need to discuss the scope and direction :) I think we'll have to go into specifics by e-mail, cor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:01 am 
Expert
Expert

I think my hope for COD4 mod just went higher :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:31 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

@coroner: Damien is pretty skilled/good too... maybe he can jump onboard too... and dont forget bruce45... and traumahawk... if u add those people in your development team u would have a good asset,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:49 am 
Expert
Expert

Having too many is also not good. Too many team members means too many individual ideas. Means fights and bickering. Means delay of release. Means some quit. Means NO game.

The key as im sure Coroner and others know is to have a dedicated "team." A team for a small mod like this with most work already done should have a limited number of involvement. Its alot harder to coordinate an army than it is to cooperate with a team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:30 am 
Master
Master

|2oss® wrote:
Having too many is also not good. Too many team members means too many individual ideas. Means fights and bickering. Means delay of release. Means some quit. Means NO game.

The key as im sure Coroner and others know is to have a dedicated "team." A team for a small mod like this with most work already done should have a limited number of involvement. Its alot harder to coordinate an army than it is to cooperate with a team.

Agreed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:44 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

|2oss® wrote:

do u know how many people working on a professional game? allot, if there is a leader in the team then everyone should fallow the leader and do what he told them to do, if they just fallow the leader "Coroner" then there wont be fights and bickering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:55 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

People in a professional game get "paid". There is a HUGE difference in motive between that and people doing it as a hobby/passion. When you do it for "passion", it's harder to follow a leader (as you called it) - especially if you don't see eye to eye 100%.

Dragon, I think you should just let these people be to do their own thing - because they already know from experience of what does and what doesn't work in a volunteer driven community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:00 pm 
Master
Master

Just let coroner do as he self pleases gosh. If he wants people to help him, he'll ask them, no need to tell him whos talented or not.
And also good luck with your own project Liquid, I hope that you will succeed someday :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:00 pm 
Expert
Expert

CATWOMAN strikes again! :) Diane where the crap have u been?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:22 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Quote:
Just let coroner do as he self pleases gosh. If he wants people to help him, he'll ask them, no need to tell him whos talented or not.

Thanks Egpe. And BTW Liq and Bruce were contacted in the very first moment of CQB. But guess what, they also have there own life and reasons for the level of involvement they considered.

One other thing, particularly for TCE, more or less anything except for core code changes was possible with external scripting. Likewise for CQB a huge arsenal of AAA maps could have been build in TCE. I am the last who wouldn't have happily included those maps in the next release. There is lot of talent out there but if you want to reach something you have to fight and proof what you are able to do. Particularly with todays standards and expectations this is really hard. Where are all the other teams and projects that wanted to redo this and that? They all underestimated what it takes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:43 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

|2oss® wrote:
CATWOMAN strikes again! :) Diane where the crap have u been?

Hey. I was in the hospital again for a little while and pretty sick, but now I've just been taking it easy at home again. Hope you are ok.