All times are UTC

Post subject: A whisper
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:19 am 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

I helped shape TrueCombat for many years as TrueCombat has shaped me for many years.

This is something else. More through official channels as 'it' develops.

http://twitter.com/RotorGames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:46 pm 
Master
Master

Very cool, hope RG and you become successful with the iOS. This is a very powerful system, I'll be on the look out in the future for your releases.

[00:29] [MASSA]Scarsraider: we keep TCE alive with our BC
[00:30] [MASSA]Scarsraider: we just got posts on our forums saying people want to play MASSA
[00:31] [MASSA]Scarsraider: but without massa bc this game would be dead
[00:31] [MASSA]Scarsraider: and u know it
[00:35] [MASSA]Scarsraider: probably every TCE player has at one point played on our BC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:36 pm 
Master
Master

So that mean u are working for them liquid ? wouldn't be better TT & GSS would revive tce ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:44 pm 
Master
Master

luka wrote:
So that mean u are working for them liquid ? wouldn't be better TT & GSS would revive tce ?

Give up on it already...TCE never had a future. It ended up being just a fun project for coroner. It was fun while it lasted. There are so many better real and complete games that you could of played by now.

[00:30] [MASSA]Scarsraider: we just got posts on our forums saying people want to play MASSA
[00:35] [MASSA]Scarsraider: probably every TCE player has at one point played on our BC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:52 pm 
Master
Master

So which one ? all are bad even bf3 is so campy and no lean and this fancy (like cod graphic fail) only one have similar gameplay as tce is arma but hard to kill someone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:29 am 
Master
Master

luka wrote:
So which one ? all are bad even bf3 is so campy and no lean and this fancy (like cod graphic fail) only one have similar gameplay as tce is arma but hard to kill someone
In real life warfare nobody complaints - *i-need-a-broader-vocab*' noob, stop camping! I will ban you! ArmA is hard for a reason - the reality level is high enough to actually depict realistic gaming where even a single shot may be critical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:43 pm 
Master
Master

luka wrote:

I'm just going to leave it at that. So I guess you're forever stuck with TCE (the uncampy, super realistic lean, graphic ownage game) for the rest of your remaining shallow gaming life. Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:58 am 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Rotor Games is actually my own full-time professional pursuit, in attempt to establish it as game studio. Hopefully this project will prove to be successful enough to secure a livelihood and open up the opportunity for expansion :)

As of now I haven't had any confidence to continue my involvement in the development of TrueCombat, due to a disagreement in vision. However for those of you who enjoy my levels and the visual style persistent in TrueCombat, I'm sure there will be a lot to enjoy in this upcoming project :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:42 pm 
Master
Master

Can you please explan what vision u have about tce ? i don't get it why whole team disapear what with coroner u don't agree ?
So shame becouse is very good game and u all good (as dev team) maps like cod but different gameplay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:55 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Hi Luka,

I don't really want to start a discussion on this, but I think historically there's a few things TC:E did really well.

TC has its own vibe and feel, the derelict urban/suburban themes, grit and plausible environments which (once) was quite unique. Another thing which distinguished TC has been the equipment system which when we were still on Q3 offered a broad variety of (balanced) equipment load-outs, creativity and personalisation of play style.

TC(:E) was most succesful when it was more action oriented and historically team deathmatch was been very popular but it was never the focus of the development.

So my view I think TC:E would benefit from TDM oriented scenarios with fittingly sized environments, e.g. C&H on large terrain maps mixed in with urban buildings. I think more focus should be on reducing the scope significantly and focusing fully on gameplay (something we never achieved due to a lack of focus and shared vision on design). I would standardise the level theme.

Most FPS games I have played seem to be moving to large levels with vehicles and so on. I think TC:E should stay away from that and offer classic quake-like level design but on a larger level to facilitate 32 players.

Also, I think TC:E would benefit from loosing the class based system and reintegrating the flexible, balanced equipment system (Q3TC 0.45) to allow the player to tailor their equipment which was really unique. Additionally I would move away from hardcore realism (movement) constraints which reduce options to the player too much and I would deepen the mechanics for knife, pistol and grenade use (and other means of indirect attack).

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of time to do the work on this. I have offered to take on the role as producer before to provide focus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:08 pm 
Expert
Expert

I think the development of tce has come to an end. Atleast with the current status of the game. Punkbuster dropping the support along with Enemy Territory going open source ( if im correct ) no new player base can play. In order to play the game you need an etkey. Which unfortunately isn't handed out anymore to new players. So if you dont know how to make one yourself your out of luck. Another issue is updating your punkbuster to the acceptable versions of the servers, since evenbalance doesn't have a pbsetup i can find keeping a backup updated pb folder is necessary to play the game. So even though tce has been on a down spiral for the past few years, the game has officially been killed. The people left playing either haven't uninstalled their games or know how to go around those barricades.

So the question is: Wtf is gonna happen to tce...

My thought is since Coroner is goin to cod4 and you ( Liquid ) seem to be semi interested in continuing development with tce, whats going to happen with the dead tce? Or is the answer to this problem a 2 way split from 1 game. TCE to cod4 and your RotorGames project.

If its dead, its dead. Lets move on. BUT If it has some sort of life left then someone better act fast and pick it up before it completely vanishes. If Coroner allows ofcourse. All im asking for is for people to stop setting small fires around the bush, either burn the bush to nothing or move it elsewhere to grow it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:08 pm 
High Master
High Master

Liquid wrote:
Hi Luka,

I don't really want to start a discussion on this, but I think historically there's a few things TC:E did really well.

TC has its own vibe and feel, the derelict urban/suburban themes, grit and plausible environments which (once) was quite unique. Another thing which distinguished TC has been the equipment system which when we were still on Q3 offered a broad variety of (balanced) equipment load-outs, creativity and personalisation of play style.

TC(:E) was most succesful when it was more action oriented and historically team deathmatch was been very popular but it was never the focus of the development.

So my view I think TC:E would benefit from TDM oriented scenarios with fittingly sized environments, e.g. C&H on large terrain maps mixed in with urban buildings. I think more focus should be on reducing the scope significantly and focusing fully on gameplay (something we never achieved due to a lack of focus and shared vision on design). I would standardise the level theme.

Most FPS games I have played seem to be moving to large levels with vehicles and so on. I think TC:E should stay away from that and offer classic quake-like level design but on a larger level to facilitate 32 players.

Also, I think TC:E would benefit from loosing the class based system and reintegrating the flexible, balanced equipment system (Q3TC 0.45) to allow the player to tailor their equipment which was really unique. Additionally I would move away from hardcore realism (movement) constraints which reduce options to the player too much and I would deepen the mechanics for knife, pistol and grenade use (and other means of indirect attack).

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of time to do the work on this. I have offered to take on the role as producer before to provide focus.

So you want TC:E to be Urban Terror?
Why?

Also TC:E should be gives us, the players, to keep it somewhat alive.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3332770
http://www.youtube.com/user/GONZOUncleBionic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:05 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Quote:
My thought is since Coroner is goin to cod4 and you ( Liquid ) seem to be semi interested in continuing development with tce, whats going to happen with the dead tce? Or is the answer to this problem a 2 way split from 1 game. TCE to cod4 and your RotorGames project.

If its dead, its dead. Lets move on. BUT If it has some sort of life left then someone better act fast and pick it up before it completely vanishes. If Coroner allows ofcourse. All im asking for is for people to stop setting small fires around the bush, either burn the bush to nothing or move it elsewhere to grow it.

Yeah, basically what spawned TC was a community (Quake 3 modding community), from that community there was a large pool of talent. What it needs is an idea and someone to pitch it to draw in more people. That's basically also the concept behind my vision for TC to draw in as much people as possible to generate a wealth of content and contributors and a thriving group of custom level designers. If there's anything I've learned about mod communities is that they stagnate really quickly if they don't regularly draw in new players and have a stable player base.

I can completely understand all the frustration, I have been an avid player for many years myself. The internal problems also affected me a lot with a lot of my work eventually not making it into a new build because the team was collapsing around me.

There has been many efforts in the past to create a TC offspring, all of which have failed (to my knowledge), so give a little credit to the developers for what you have. If the community isn't able to pick up the concept and start over freshly, they can also look at themselves and think what they can do. There's a lot of great custom content that probably needs to be bundled so new players don't have to download a ton of files (server clean up). And the community can also spread the word with some youtube videos and spreading the word in open source communities, localising installation guides and so on.

There's a lot which can be done, and this community has always surprised me with amazing content and ideas. I'm sure someone will step up and take a lead role in establishing a sustainable basis for TC-inspired development. I would happily donate Skirmish, Delta and Outerdocks level sources for such a venture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:11 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Btw, I would also happily donate all my custom models /mapmodels/liq/ and textures in the /textures/liq/ folder for such a venture. That basically has basic level design sorted to establish a small community, and there's enough content to pump out a few maps.

The quake engines are all open source (which probably support popular formats for your convenience), there's cgtextures.com now, free and open source editing software is available with great work flow. Really compared to 6-7 years ago there's an abundance of development tools and resources to get started. There's also plenty of talent on networking sites to help out with creative crafts like audio and animation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:29 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

From my perspective ET is a dead road a the moment. All the downsides of discontinued PB support have been mentioned already. Look at Urbanterror what the solutions really are with a GPL engine. You can do a semi legal combi of closed-source mod under the original game SDK EULA in combination with the GPL engine. This is so easy abused and pure hacking hell online. Alternatively you can buy the engine or get it for granted by Id like they do now with UrbanTerror HD. This requires a huge team.
I am not saying that this wouldn't be possible with TCE, but -reality check- who are all the team members who will be doing this?

to be continued ...