All times are UTC

Post subject: Community Work
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:40 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Hello Friends,

like any other game in the world, a game lives from the community. If there are enough dedicated players the game can live for years. For example the old Counter Strike is still successful because there is a big community, a lot of resources, many players (just casual players, which aren't that active inside of the community) and a lot of propaganda. So I've some cool ideas to make the game more community-driven and actively helping the development of the game.

I'll post now some of my ideas and I'm sure some of them will never be completed.

1. better integration with the game
I'm really excited that we now have a Map Depot, which we should have had for years. With the Map Depot it's now easy for map developers and server administrators to get new maps. This is the sort of integration I mean.
For example we could integrate the in-game profiles into the website so players can have a friend list, server-stats, personal statistics, achievements, Facebook integration, steam groups and of cause a league with special events (Nations Cup).

2. keeping barriers for new players low,
for example we could create packages for various Linux distributions (I know there are many Linux users here which can create *.tgz, *.deb, *.rpm), Mac packages (*.dmg) and as of Windows 7 it's possible to add software for auto-updating. Another cool thing would be if we could make the game available through Steam (Steamworks). This would allow auto-updates, without implementing it direct to the game.

3. Propaganda,
is what most people can do for the game: writing news articles, adding articles on Wikipedia, ModDB and various Linux-specific sites (I think of holarse-linuxgaming.de and the English counterpart linuxgaming.com).

4. Community,
is what all players can do to help the game getting a bigger user base: being friendly and helpful to new players and on the forums.

So if you have any other ideas feel free to post them here. Thanks.