All times are UTC

Post subject: KarateXplosion's Tips
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:48 am 
Master
Master

ok to help out players here are some thngs that may help while you play
-Boxes and Bullets
We’ve all been in a situation where the enemy is hiding behind some sort of crate, and we load the crate full of lead and the enemy comes out without a scratch. If you’re like me there was always this annoying ambiguity about whether or not the bullets would go through or not. So [SeF]Qwe and I took some time to play around with boxes using different weapons. Here’s what we found.

Pistols Ok at short range
M16/M4/sopmod Excellent at all ranges
AK-57/74U/Mac 10 NONE except through corners
Shotguns Not so good
MP5/40 NONE except through corners
Snipers Good at short range; none at long range

Notice that the Ak-47, AK-74U, and Mac 10 will not go through boxes at all unless it’s through a corner. Also keep in mind that if you’re shooting through a box the bullets almost always change direction when they go through. So If you unload on a box aiming at head height you may peek out to see a lot of bullet holes at foot height. Also, frag grenades do not go through crates, and flash grenades do.

Also, this information is just about the wooden boxes. I believe EVERYTHING goes through the wooden doors in railhouse, thin metal plates, and other thin wood.

-Be Elusive.
This is maybe the number one mistake I see people making. Regardless of which side you’re playing as (but specops is more likely), there will be times when both you and the enemy see each other. Maybe you fire, maybe you get hit, maybe nothing else happens. The point is, the enemy now knows where you are. If you stay where you are you could get naded, flashed, or overrun. So, MOVE. Back up, dart across a door way, maybe even move UP a little bit and anticipate an enemy grenade, do something to regain your element of surprise and your control of the situation.

Of course, if the enemy is smart, they’ll do this too. Don’t assume the enemy will stay in the same place after you’ve seen him.

-Count the Angles
This primarily goes for specops. Wherever you are, look and see how many angles it’s possible to get shot from, and then try and eliminate as many of them as possible. In some spots, it may be as simple as moving a bit to the left. Some spots may not be safe at all.

This is important for terrorists when the bomb is planted, especially if only one or two terrors are left. You need to make sure you’re visible from as few angles as possible and have your sights aimed at a choke point.

-Loops
There are a number of places in the game where two players can get caught in a loop, going round and round the crate or whatever trying to catch the other guy going the other way. If you can, the best way to get out of that situation is to just get out of the loop.

thnx JC

Last edited by Karate Explosion on Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:32 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

These are actually very good tips. I'll have to keep them in mind when I brush up on my TCE pwnage training (when I play as TT vs NC champ) :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:06 pm 
Master
Master

Part 2

90% of TC:E players I've encountered (No matter how talented) do a poor job of using the environment around them to increase their chances of survival. Every location on every TC:E map has at least one obvious field of fire, but usually far more. Tactical defense (or counter-offense) is all about minimizing (overlapping) enemy fields of fire.

By fields of fire I mean all possible AREAS in DEGREES that you could POSSIBLY be seen or shot from. For example: While standing on the paved road in Village you can be shot from a 360 degree angle. With only a 90 degree field of vision, at the VERY BEST you have a 25% chance of seeing the enemy before they see you. While this is an extreme case, it boggles my mind how many players regularly enter areas such as these in match settings. AVOID OPEN AREAS WHENEVER POSSIBLE.

Without using positions on existing maps as references:

Standing against a long wall automatically reduces the field of fire to 180 degrees, or (typically) a 50/50 chance of seeing the enemy before they see you.

Standing in most corners reduces the field to 90 degrees and almost certainly ensures that you will see the enemy at the same time they see you. (again...varies depending on where EXACTLY you're looking at the time)

Its at this point that you SHOULD have the advantage because you will more than likely be in a position of dominance...meaning you might have cover (in the form of boxes, barrels, etc), be crouched or proned vs. them being standing (or running/sprinting), be zoomed while they are unzoomed, etc.

Dominant positions can also be gained while playing counter-offensively. I don't think I can explain this as clearly without pictures but here goes...

One example is clearing rooms & buildings. With each cleared area (space that doesn't reveal an enemy) you're chances of survival (in the short term) increase. Your chances of gaining a dominant position also increase. This is due to the fact that every building or room is essentially the same...they all have entrances and exits, which means they all have chokepoints. Chokepoints are areas where you must ALWAYS expect to encounter overlapping enemy fields of fire.

Using the boiler room on railhouse as an example: When entering via the main door chokepoint (from specops bridge) your immediate chances of survival are very low. There is a 20~ degree field of fire directly in front of you and a 15~ degree field of fire down a long hall to your right. Since your field of VISION between the two fields of FIRE is split by the boilers themselves, you essentially have to roll the dice on which one you're going to tackle. If you take the short hall, you will first risk your life by crossing directly thru the field of fire from the long hall, then possibly facing an enemy in the short hall (most likely with a dominant position over you...i.e. aimed, leaning, etc.). Again...that is IF you survive the exposure to the long hall field of fire.

If you decide to tackle the long hall, you first expose yourself to a field of fire from the short hall, then face an enemy that definitely has a dominant position (leaning around a boiler w/ cover, already aimed). Even if you survive, as you progress down the long hall you open yourself up to fields of fire on your left (gaps in between the boilers) with the possibility that another enemy could re-appear on the right (or even behind you via the short hall at this point).

Of course if you successfully clear these hallways the tables begin to turn dramatically and you gain the dominant positions. However even for the best TC:E players...is an area like that ever worth entering?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:08 pm 
Master
Master

Clutching
The ability to clutch is an important one. Winning a 1v2 or a 2v4 not only gives your team an additional round and extra money, but it can also be very demoralizing. Many teams will fall apart after losing a 1v3, while your own team will be inspired to play harder.

For this writeup, I am going to focus on how to clutch. How to prevent being clutched is just as important, but would require more writing then I am willing to do at this point. If there is enough demand, I will write it up later.

Know thy enemy. By this, I mean that by the third or fourth round, you should have a good idea of how the other team plays. You should know who plays where, what guns they use, and how aggressive they are. Then, when it comes down to a 1v3, you should know roughly how they rotate and where they will be on the map. A recent example of this happened on inferno - only the ct side, there was one player who loved to play behind the yellow generator. After switching sides, it came down to a 1v1, with him having the bomb planted at banana. Because I knew he liked to play there on ct side, I naded the generator and then strafed out spraying. He died quickly, and I got called a hacker.

This knowledge of where the other team is important for the next part: splitting their forces. Unless you are playing a bad team, you will not be able to kill 3 players at the same time. Instead, you want to utilize the form of the map to split them so that you may kill them one by one. For example, lets say that on dust2, your team killed 2 players at A, but all of your teammates died except for you. Instead of running to plant the bomb, you may walk to cat to kill a counter terrorist rotating too quickly, and then go into mid. From mid, you may go to B - or, you can wait 30 seconds, and then go back to A, hoping to fake them out. This brings me to my next point - time management.
by Wut of #r-syn

Whenever you are in a situation where the other team outnumbers you, you should be considering the clock. If you have a lot of time and are on the offensive, then your goal should be to confuse your opponents about your location. Doing this forces them to guard two sites at once, splitting their attention and their forces. If you take over an area controlled by the other team, instead of advancing to the bomb site, you can stay there and hope to catch kill chasing ct's by surprise. By planting the bomb, you are announcing your location and allowing the cts the chance to group up and force you into an unwinnable situation. Also, you can move into places where you will not be suspected. For example, after taking the b bomb site, you may go into ct connector to kill rotators, then advance to plant at the a bomb site.

If you manage to get the bomb planted without any counter terrorists in the immediate area, you must consider how many players they have left. If they have 3 players left, then most likely your best course of action is to attempt to peek them as they rotate to the bomb site, because otherwise they can have 1 player defuse while the other two guard. If, however, they only have 2 players left, then you can attempt to hide, then flashbang peek the defuser. Remember, you don't have to kill all of them - you just have to make yourself so hard to kill that they cannot defuse the bomb in time.

One thing that can help your team learn how to clutch, and to deal with clutch situations, is by practicing. Have 1 player join the terrorist side, 3 on counter terrorist. The 3 ct's go to one site, the terrorist goes to the other. When the terrorist announces he is in position, the ct's begin to do what they would normally do to retake the site, while the terrorist tries to win. Or, have the terrorist drop the bomb in front of the counter terrorists, and then he has to try to take it back. Practice like this improves individual skill, and puts your team in important match altering situation, that may only occur once or twice per scrim.

The basic plan when forced into a clutch situation is this: Break up their team by not allowing them to know where you are, force them to rotate to sites where you are not, whittle away at their numbers. It can be surprising how quickly a 1v3 situation becomes a 1v1 situation.

Last edited by Karate Explosion on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:56 pm 
Expert
Expert

CTRL C CTRL V

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:08 pm 
AHLALALALALA!
AHLALALALALA!

lmfao