Post subject: Airon's Beta Weapons Sound Test Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:52 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Airon wrote:
Here we go...

First, the download link :
http://stashbox.org/29866/tce_weaponstest_20070720.zip

Then, the documentation. For your convenience the README in the zip file has been reproduced here :
-----------------------------------------
Welcome to the weapon soundtest for the next release of TrueCombat:Elite

How To Use It
=============

Find the installation directory of your Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory game. In it you will find a directory called "tcetest".

Copy the file zzzzz_weapontest01.pk3 in to that directory.

Unless a server permits it, i.e. the server is set to "pure" and the official flag is set, this cannot be used online. Some servers do permit this however. You can still test this by yourself.

On the startup screen of TrueCombat:Elite, click on "Host A Game". Now check and then uncheck the item "Official Server". This will make sure you can start a game in developer mode.

Now press the "`" key, which is the uppermost left key, right beneath the ESC key. A console should drop down. Now enter: /devmap obj_delta (or any other map you like such as obj_village or obj_stadtrand)

The game will load the map. When it has, pick a side. Now wait for the round to begin.

When the round has begun activate the console again by pressing that same key beneath the ESC key.

Enter: /give all
and : /give all
You're doing this twice because the first time the game may only give you a load of ammunition but not all weapons.

Now you can cycle through all weapons in the game by hitting the apropriate keys. "1" for the main weapons, "2" for the handguns and so on. Some weapon slots are empty in the handgun section. Just press the "2" key again untill a weapoon turns up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:24 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

SECOND test released:

Airon wrote:
Alright. This is the second sound test. Keep the opinions, suggestions and idea coming.

http://stashbox.org/30038/tce_weaponstest_20070721.zip

Here's the changelog. The complete Readme in the ZIP file has been replicated below again. Unpack the ZIP.

Changelog
=========

v02 :

Added Glock and Beretta shots
Changed the Desert Eagle shot
Changed the MP5 shot
Changed the M76 shot
Dropped the AK47 shot for now

---README from the ZIP file---

Version 2 - 2007 July 21st

How To Use It
=============

Find the installation directory of your Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory game. In it you will find a directory called "tcetest".

Copy the file zzzzz_weapontest01.pk3 in to that directory. Overwrite the old one.

Unless a server permits it, i.e. the server is set to "pure" and the official flag is set, this cannot be used online. Some servers do permit this however. You can still test this by yourself.

On the startup screen of TrueCombat:Elite, click on "Host A Game". Now check and then uncheck the item "Official Server". This will make sure you can start a game in developer mode.

Now press the "`" key, which is the uppermost left key, right beneath the ESC key. A console should drop down. Now enter: /devmap obj_delta (or any other map you like such as obj_village or obj_stadtrand)

The game will load the map. When it has, pick a side. Now wait for the round to begin.

When the round has begun activate the console again by pressing that same key beneath the ESC key.

You're doing this twice because the first time the game may only give you a load of ammunition but not all weapons.

Now you can cycle through all weapons in the game by hitting the apropriate keys. "1" for the main weapons, "2" for the handguns and so on. Some weapon slots are empty in the handgun section. Just press the "2" key again untill a weapoon turns up.

Submitting Feedback
===================

Please visit the forums for this. This pack is posted in the "Weapons, Sounds and Devices" section of the forum at http://www.truecombatelite.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=12 .

Opinions, suggestions and new ideas are all welcome.

Changed Sounds
==============

--==Handguns==--

Desert Eagle .50 - new shot, changed from sound test v01
Berreta - new shot
Glock - new shot

--==Submachine Guns==--

Mp5 - new shot(changed from v01) and reload sequence

--==Assault Rifles==--

AK47 - dropped for now. I'm working on a better one or leaving the old one
M4 - new suppressed shot
Sig552 - new shot and reload sequence

--==Sniper Rifles==--

M76 - new shot
PSG1 - new shot, a bit less bass and sharper attack for v02
R93 - new shot
SR8 - new shot(same as R93)

--==Other stuff==--

Bomb timer - electronic sound

----------------------------------
signed, Airon - Sound Designer / T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:19 pm 
Master
Master

they are totally crescent fresh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:04 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

I think Airon is on the right track to improve sounds of tc:e wepaons ... I rly like the second version of those beta sounds ... I'm in love with that electronic bomb, new DE sound is great and also sniper rifles sounds better now ... gw! good if ak sound will stay like the original or quite similar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:37 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I loves them. The DE sound could use a little improvement IMO, however, as it just lacks something, but I don't know what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:00 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Airon wrote:
Here we have v3 of the soundtest. We're progressing slowly, but surely.

Download it here :
http://shup.com/Shup/472/tce_weaponstes ... 729_v3.zip

The changelog :

v03 :

Added M76 Reload
Added AK74 Reload
Added AK47 shot(edited a bit) back in
Changed the Desert Eagle shot(big and bad)
Changed the R93/SR8 shot(big and bad)

As before here is the readme from the ZIP file for your convenience :
=================================================

Version 3 - 2007 July 29th

How To Use It
=============

Copy the file zzzzz_weapontest01.pk3 in to that directory. Overwrite the old one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:52 am 
Master
Master

I'm sorry I really don't find much to like about these sounds; they're not an improvement technically (they have gross technical issues and flaws like: DC offset miss-matches, different levels and even kinds of post production effects like reverb, and grossly incorrect eq with respect to boundry effects applied to different weapons -- just to name a few), they're not remotely realistic, and worse they don't even offer a consistent 'arcade' or 'fantasy' weapon sound aesthetic. At least Race's sounds while simple are both more realistic and technically correct and consistent.

To put this in lay english if I fired my .45 in my parking garage it wouldn't sound like it was fired outside, and if I fired my M-14 in the same space it wouldn't sound like it was fired in a bathroom. Not only do the new sounds have gross production flaws of this kind (and a lot more) they have issues that cause sub-mixing errors with the WET sound renderer/mixer.

Personally I'm disappointed that the focus in TC:E Sound Design is still on replacing weapon sounds that are at least adequate with sounds that are technically inferior in virtually every regard, when the game almost completely devoid of Foley and what little there is is so inconsistent and poorly produced it doesn't even begin to reach parity with the quality of the other assets in the mod...

I'll grant that weapons do get a lot of attention from Fans because they're played so much; but in an game environment realistically decorated with Foley (both subtle and obvious), the weapon sounds will be less then 1/10 of 1% of what the player hears, and have far less tactical effect on game-play, sonic immersivenss and realism of the game environment. Thank goodness that there's a work around so I can at least always play TC:E with Race's original work...

:(