All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:56 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

it wrote:
I don't think it's so much the good vantage point, but to keep the dimensions of the map in those of the engine, they had to cut off the rooves os the tunnels could be added.

That doesn't make it suck any less. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:56 am 
Master
Master

it isn't limited i think the map is clipped there to prevent you going up there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:18 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Either its for technical reasons or for player control reasons but if you look in the map editor most WET maps, including mods have the invisible wall right on top of the highest expected jump and where you dont want people to be it is as simple as blocking it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:00 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

XenoKiLLer wrote:
Well if you want better performance then turn down the settings and turn of the HDR.

if you played mmorpg's, you can notice that the system is always automaticly optimized after the map load, model load, NPC load ect. ect. this is to prevent the game from crashing, and this is a must for games with huge maps,

now if TCe had a system optimzation feature after evrything is loaded, i think that we will have much less problems of players getting kicked due to the crash/bad performance at the start of the match,

system optimization is really necessary if u want your game to run smoothly after evrything is loaded.

Last edited by Dragonathan on Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:22 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

No MMO besides Huxley has true HDR. All MMORPGs in the past few years have excessive bloom effects - that doesnt amount to anything when comapred with true HDR. Just having the bloom effect isnt even HDR because it doesnt simulate the effect correctly either. HDR should have very very bright areas but still have vividly and sharply visible details and also it should have very very dark areas that has vivid and sharp details aswell.

Besides, all MMOs require graphics cards under the GF5 and radeon 8/9 series. True HDR was only made available with the later DX9c cards specifically GF6 and Radeon X1 series. MMOs therefore do not really have HDR just excessive blooming - similar to what TCE is trying to simulate - however TCE uses light maps instead and the dynamic eye system to simulate it instead of just bloom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:31 pm 
Expert
Expert

Dragonathan wrote:
XenoKiLLer wrote:
Well if you want better performance then turn down the settings and turn of the HDR.

if you played mmorpg's, you can notice that the system is always automaticly optimized after the map load, model load, NPC load ect. ect. this is to prevent the game from crashing, and this is a msut for games with huge maps,

now if TCe had a system optimzation feature after evrything is loaded, i think that we will have much less problems of players being kicked due to the crash/bad performance at the start of the match,

system optimezation is really necessary if u want your game to run smoothly after evrything is laoded.

optimisation is the wrong word dragonathan. you mean that it loads up parts of the map when you get there? That works fine when the MMORPGS are set up as a series of connected maps with loading screens inbetween....but we are playing in a single complex (and small) space, and I for one would rather wait 10 seconds at the start of the round rather than .5 second during, when i might be in a firefight.

and if you did mean optimisation....then you can only mean that you want tc:e to automatically detect the users PC hardware, yeah? And then choose the right video settings for a balance of performance and quality. Its a nice idea and a lot of games do it. dont know if its possible on the q3 engine though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:41 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

the engine is pretty scalable already - if the person didnt understand what each of the sliders and toggle sin the options menu are they probably should be playing games that have minimum requirements very close to thier system specs. Besides, they should just look around the internet to see what those mean.

As a matter of fact, TCE doesnt even have any hardware issues at all - the only problem would be is if you were playing on a Pentium 1 133Mhz with 128Mb ram and an integrated graphics card - but who uses that these days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:12 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

there actually is a little problem with intel/nvidia combos, as it increases firelag.

and optimising settings for your graphics is already in the options menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:28 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

The thing is there really isnt a noticeable performance increase no matter how you tweak those options. TCE is running on an aging engine that still doesnt compare to its modifed cousins like Evolution and Xreal. This game will work on basically every computer that still works perfectly fine as of this date. Even with the fake HDR effects -those arent even shader based like modern effects and HDR.