All times are UTC

Post subject: jumping stamina
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:14 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

you guys should ask a real soldier if he lose all his stamina after 2/4 jumps, he will laugh at you and call you an idiot.

what i suggest is less than 1 sec disorientation and making the aiming harder after each jump, and 1.5% stamina reduction for each jump, the everage human being"non atletes" can jump 20 time before hes starting to get tired,

1.5% stamina reduction for each jump means 30% stamina reduction after 20 jumps, wich is very realistic, but if you jump 1 time, the stamina should regain fully in about 1 second, so if you jumped 20 times you will need to wait 20 seconds before your stamina is fully recovered.

^but that is just the verticle jump part^

dont forget about the horizontal jump's, the horizontol jumps would need to have a bit more stamina reduction, because it takes more power to jump horizontal forwards, so what i suggest is 2.5% stamina reduction per horizontal jump, the horizontal jump should also be more powerful than the verticle jump, because if you jump horizontally forwards in real life, you really can jump a very long distance, because you kinda break the gravity by jumping straight forwards,

i dont know how skilled the coders of TT are,so im not sure if what i suggested is easy to implement, but it would be realistic to distinguish the
verticle jump and the horizentol jump, this would be a whole new system, i call it the hover system, hover is an abbreviation of "horizontal verticle"

now back to the horizontal jump, ive an idea for this, in real life if you jump forwards "horizontal" you can jump and reach a very long distance depending on how fast you run, so what i suggest is take advantage of the stamina, now lets devide the stamina bar into 4 sections,

1-25%
2-50&
3-75&
4-100&

if you sprint and jump when you reduced the stamina at 25% or less, you can reach about 1,30 meters distance

if you sprint and jump when you reduce the stamina at 50% or less, you can reach about 2,60 meters distance

if you sprint and jump when you reduced the stamina at 75% or less, you can reach about 3,10 meters distance,

if you sprint and jump when you reduced the stamina at 100% or less, you should easily reach 4 meters distance,

^not so serieus about the measurements but its about the concept^

any comments?

Last edited by Dragonathan on Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:03 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I agree that jumping hieght/distance according to stamina is a good thing. but was another topic really needed? I'll keep it open because I can, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:33 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

and I won't lock it because I have been in a very good mood since I got back from work (why? well, that's my buisness :D).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:30 am 
High Master
High Master

"Hover" is already a word in English, which doesn't fit this situation.

Is it possible to bunnyhop effectively in TCE? If it is, 40 horizontal jumps before running out of stamina might be enough to cause some gameplay issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:22 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

and so is FPS/ragdoll/ ect. ect. but it has different meanings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:25 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I don't see what bunnyhoping has to do with system problems/engine limitations, but...

I can't bunnyhop in TC:E. I'm fairly good in Et and jaymod (I only stop when they shoot me) but in TC:E, the gravity affects you differently, so it's hard to do proper ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:01 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I never bunnyhop but I rocket jump - the only reason why we are having this discussion is because the stamina is easily drained by jumping. It is unrealistic in TCE (and especially AA) but this is the only way to prevent unrealistic strategies from being used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:10 am 
High Master
High Master

To prevent players from exploiting the jumping, they could just add an delay for you to recover your "Balance" at which time you cannot fire. (I think this was said before, but I'm to lazy to check myself) However, since players fire guns like 17 year olds who weigh in at 120 LB are firing these guns, I think it would be safe to assume that they can't jump well or often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:15 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Well, it is true that carrying that armor and those guns and ammo, when you land you may loose balance and get disoriented a bit. That is probably good enough to hinde rthe jumping. Maybe even for random occassions, depending on the situation - e.i. you jump and you get hit, you drop down and have to get back up or you jump and lang on ice and slip and have to get back up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:46 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

wouldnt it be cool if u could actually see your self climbing up something?

like you put away your weapon and actually see your arms come up in front of you, like in a real life situation, grab on to the edge of what your climbing up, get up, fall down, and take your weapon out.
P.S. this WOULD/COULD all happen automatically when u press the jump button

i dont know if this is really possible, probably not, but its at least worth mentioning...i think..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:26 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Sounds like FEAR. The climbing animation from 3rd person and the 1st person hud in FEAR has realistic movement that is visible to both you and everyone else. ofcourse the JupiterEx engine can handle that kind of animation much better than the Quake3 engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:40 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

yeah, I'd love to see that, but I don't think Q3 can do it :(

I know it's in ArmA and FEAR, and I"m pretty sure infinity ward/gray matter/activision tried to do it in CoD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:56 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I dont recall having to climb anything in CoD or CoD2 except for that one instance in CoD2 with the water tower and that was it - or and the bunker in Africa - it's a waste to have to go through all that animation process if you dont really expect to be using the climbing thing that often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:09 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

yeah, they did a good job of avoiding ladders. I think there were a few optional ones in the rocket level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:42 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

so ur saying Q3 cant do that kind of animation?
there is NO POSSIBLE WAY?

o well too bad :(
that could have been a pretty good thing to put in there..