All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: exclude 3rd party files.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:01 pm 
Offline
Pwnzer
Pwnzer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:20 pm
Posts: 2531
i think it would be more neat to exclude the 3rd party files from the tcetest folder,

currently there is only 1 folder that contain all the official pk files ect. ect. and all the 3rd party files, IMO there should be 2 folders, 1 for official files and 1 for 3rd party files, to prevent errors when you install a new version.

and i dont use the regular browser, because its still not advanced, i use Qtracker, and Qtracker cant filter the unofficial servers, i only play on official servers, but sometimes i get in an unofficial server without even knowing, and allot of crap is being downloaded on my pc from the unofficial server, wich i dont mind, but i immediately remove it, but sometimes i remove the official files by accident, so thats why its better to distinguish the official and unofficial files in different folders each.

_________________
Image
call me Dragon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:59 pm 
Offline
Pwnzer
Pwnzer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:38 pm
Posts: 2007
if it has pak(number) or mp_bin, it's official. anything else in a .pk3 is disposable.

and though a seperate folder for maps and stuff would be nice, the quake 3 engine can't read it without modification, and the official pak files would have to be moved there too :(
(If it could work, I'd use it, seeing as I usually get a ton of custom stuff that I need to remove between major patches)


also, see if you can set up a filter for the cvar sv_official. if you can, only looking at servers with it to 1 would weed out the ones that are not running only the official stuff (or decided to turn it off)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:11 pm 
Offline
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:27 pm
Posts: 73
it wrote:
if it has pak(number) or mp_bin, it's official. anything else in a .pk3 is disposable.


I'd be a bit careful with that one. Whilst we have tried to train the community to acknowledge this is the case unfortunately it is not. I have dealt with several support jobs where a 3rd party pak has been named pak9 (or something similar)

At the time of writing tce should only have 6 pak files:

pak0.pk3
pak1.pk3
pak2.pk3
pak3.pk3
pak4.pk3
mp_bin.pk3

As well as a few dll/so/mac specific files.

I'd recommend moving files out of the tcetest and the wolfenstein folder (i.e not moving it up a level) prior to deleting them and then try TCE just to make sure you are not deleting a require file.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:52 am 
Offline
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Posts: 62
Location: TampaBay, Florida
Disabling downloads from the server is in the game options. Missing files and updates can be found right here. Why would you want a folder for files you dont want or have to download in the first place. Am I confused about how simple this is ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:56 am 
Offline
Pwnzer
Pwnzer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:20 pm
Posts: 2531
see... thats what i dont like about some people here in the forum, they think i suggested something that is totally useless, thats because sometimes they are too simple minded, wich is not good if you ever wanna dig my suggestions,

why i want a folder for the official files and the 3rd party files? because sometimes i want to try out the 3rd party servers to try out some 3rd party maps, because i am an open minded person, but unfortenately... allot of times i join an custom server, i get allot of nonesense crap, i get bad map designs "IMO"<--- so you dont have to defend the custom maps because its just a personal opinion, and dont think im anti custum maps, the official maps have a crappy map too, like stadrand, the stadrand map looks flawless, but the volvo cars kinda screw the whole map design, even if its low poly, it doesnt fit with the whole map design and it is unrealistic,

but back to the topic, like i said... sometimes i wanna try out the custom servers, and sometimes i get crappy files so i wanna remove it with out worrying that im gonna remove the official importent files, if the 3rd party was in a different folder than it would be easier,

_________________
Image
call me Dragon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:05 pm 
Offline
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:51 am
Posts: 74
Quote:
sometimes they are too simple minded, wich is not good if you ever wanna dig my suggestions


So, what you are saying is that your suggestions are too complex? You should always K.I.S.S.

Again, its just something you want and something nobody would really use. Waste of time?

_________________
deviantART

TC:E name- 8_Bit_Brad


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:47 pm 
Offline
Pwnzer
Pwnzer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:20 pm
Posts: 2531
allot of people had problems when they installed 0.49,
why? because they had some old 3rd party files in the tcetest folder,
i can predict someones gonna say: "i had no problems", but allot of my clan members had the problem, thats why i came up with this idea.

it would also be easier when people are gonna install new versions,
im not trying to say that my suggestions is to complex, im trying to say not too be so simple minded and selfish when you post a comment on my suggestions,

and this isnt something i want, allot of people want this, infact me and xenokiller came up with this idea, so its definetely not just me,

_________________
Image
call me Dragon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:45 pm 
Offline
Pwnzer
Pwnzer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:38 pm
Posts: 2007
IMO, it IS a good idea, but I"m not 100% sure it would work.its the kind of thing that I wish was in ET to begin with.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:51 pm 
Offline
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:51 am
Posts: 74
If people want it, then hopefully somebody can check into it to see if it can be done.

_________________
deviantART

TC:E name- 8_Bit_Brad


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:45 pm 
Offline
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Posts: 62
Location: TampaBay, Florida
Dragonathan wrote:
see... thats what i dont like about some people here in the forum, they think i suggested something that is totally useless, thats because sometimes they are too simple minded, wich is not good if you ever wanna dig my suggestions,

why i want a folder for the official files and the 3rd party files? because sometimes i want to try out the 3rd party servers to try out some 3rd party maps, because i am an open minded person, but unfortenately... allot of times i join an custom server, i get allot of nonesense crap, i get bad map designs "IMO"<--- so you dont have to defend the custom maps because its just a personal opinion, and dont think im anti custum maps, the official maps have a crappy map too, like stadrand, the stadrand map looks flawless, but the volvo cars kinda screw the whole map design, even if its low poly, it doesnt fit with the whole map design and it is unrealistic,

but back to the topic, like i said... sometimes i wanna try out the custom servers, and sometimes i get crappy files so i wanna remove it with out worrying that im gonna remove the official importent files, if the 3rd party was in a different folder than it would be easier,


I never said the idea was bad, I just dont understand why you would want it when you said clearly in the first post that you only play on official servers and you immedietly remove "allot of crap". If you didn't mean what you said, excuse my ignorance.
Then you posted that you do like to check out unofficial servers in the same thread, if this is what you meant including it in the origional post would have saved the confusion on my part (and yours too apparently).
I agree with dragonathan, it's a fine idea and would be very usefull in some sutuations. I also agree with myself saying that the idea wouldn't even apply to you if you only play on official servers, since server downloads can be disabled in the options.
Please think these things through before you post them and this would save a lot of time and space in the forums.

I agree with dragonathan, it's a fine idea and would be very usefull in some sutuations.

^ Thats the line you'll need, go ahead and chop it out. Dont bother thanking me.

Also, I havent been to Germany in several years. So please tell me and the rest of the simple minded less traveled souls how Volvos "screw" the whole map design, are they illegal there now? I did however take the liberty of running registeration checks on the vehicle tags and they are NOT regestered to ANYONE. This is SO UNREALISTIC It boggles the mind how such an important game play affecting detail could possibly be overlooked by the developers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: exclude 3rd party files.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:19 am 
Offline
Pwnzer
Pwnzer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:20 pm
Posts: 2531
i hope this feature will be implemented in the future, than i would be really happy because i wouldnt need worry about removing the wrong pk3 files anymore.

_________________
Image
call me Dragon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:15 pm 
Offline
Pwnzer
Pwnzer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:38 pm
Posts: 2007
I've done a bit of research, and you CAN do it. the only thing is that you need to move each file individually and change the path in the console.

plus, what's so hard to figure out for .pk3s? mp_bin, pak0, pak1, pak2, pak3, and (IIRC) pak4.pk3 are all you need aside from the .dlls and junk. just look at the names of the stuff that's downloaded.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:58 pm 
Offline
Pwnzer
Pwnzer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:20 pm
Posts: 2531
LordOfKao$ wrote:
I'd be a bit careful with that one. Whilst we have tried to train the community to acknowledge this is the case unfortunately it is not. I have dealt with several support jobs where a 3rd party pak has been named pak9 (or something similar)

_________________
Image
call me Dragon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:14 pm 
Offline
Pwnzer
Pwnzer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:38 pm
Posts: 2007
Dragonathan wrote:
LordOfKao$ wrote:
I'd be a bit careful with that one. Whilst we have tried to train the community to acknowledge this is the case unfortunately it is not. I have dealt with several support jobs where a 3rd party pak has been named pak9 (or something similar)


IIRC, there is a thread in general support on which are the official pak files. extra things with pak(number) are usually 6 or more, incase of extra 1st party ones.

*edit* http://truecombat.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=915 contains the list, minus mp_bin.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:28 am 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:40 am
Posts: 315
Location: Parts Unknown
Like said just turn of Disabling downloads from the server imo yeah it would be ok but pointless kinda plus so many more thing need to be made/done first and y do you have to insult ppl with different view point lets all just get along and hug

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Style created by © Matti, gry komputerowe, reklama sem reklama seo

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group