All times are UTC

Post subject: stamina system
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:28 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

READ ATTENTIVELY

i still dont get why allot of games cant get their stamina system right,
allot of games suffer from unrealistic stamina system, so does truecombat.

i have a few simple suggestions to improve it,

- the stamina reduction for when you are sprinting, could have a 30% less reduction, because its not realistic that a soldier is losing all his stamina from running a short distance, i remember that one day in highschool when i had a heavy backpack with allot of books, and i could run at full pelt trying to catch a bus from 20 meters distance with out getting tired,

so i suggest that players shouldnt lose their stamina so fast, just some tiny little reduction evry 6 meters or something,

- when you wanna regain your stamina in tc:e after you lost it all, it takes a long time before the stamina is full again, the stamina regaining speed should be increased 15 percent, not only is it good for the gameplay, it is also more realistic,

- theres is another unrealistic thing about the stamina system of tc:e, when you lost all your stamina power, it only regains when your standing still, it would be more realistic if it also could regain when you are just walking, but afcourse a little less regaining than the regaining from a "stand still" position.

- for the gameplay.... i really suggest to get rid of the stamina reduction for the free climbing, even if you lost all your stamina, you are still able to climb on things. if you dont believe me, ask professional mountain climbers, infact my brother in law was a mountain climber, he told me evrything about it, so i have knowledge about this part,

if you lose your stamina in tc:e when you're free climbing... than why isnt the stamina decreasing when you're climbing a ladder?
"unrealistic"
its basicly the same thing, so it is more realistic to not lose your stamina when you're free climbing,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:57 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

My biggest gripe with the stamina system is jumping, you jump twice and your stamina is gone (like say if I go to climb something, I jump once and it doesn't work, then I jump a second time and I start climbing, but my stamina is sapped).

I agree that the stamina is a bit of an annoyance, it could use some improving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:03 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I could definately see a reduction of the stamina used, seeing as you'd be trained to have more endurance and all that. it would also be nice so that you would only burn 1/3 for jumping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:27 pm 
High Master
High Master

I agree, just so long as they make a lower stamina significantly effect how steady your gun is. If you go out and sprint fast, even when in good shape, you will start breathing heavily.(Heavy breathing from a sprint is more often a reflex, rather than from being tired.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:31 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Well it isnt really realistic that jumping kills that much stamina in real life. I say make jumping more of hindering your shooting as it will disorient you but not drain your stamina. As far as I now, jumping never drains stamina like that, nor does climbing a ladder, sprinting is the only case that fits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:29 am 
High Master
High Master

Try jumping over a few fences. It starts to get tiring after a few.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:52 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Yes sure after a few minutes, rounds in TCE only last a few minutes and nobody really has to do that much jumping to get to places. Jumping in a sense in videogames is a cheap tactic known as bunnyhopping and i know you know what that is. The reason to make jumping eat up so much stamina is to prevent people from bunnyhopping - the same thing in America's Army and it is actually much more radical there.

So I suggest, instead of making jumping stamina based, they could just make it that after each jump you are disoriented for a few secs making aiming straight harder but not impossible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:03 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

or have the height/speed reduced greatly after each jump *makes another CS reference*
in CS:S, you basically stop after jumping, and have a slow acceleration time, I could see after a jump a one or two second stop, to account for shifting wieght, readying weapons again, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:51 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

but dont forget the landing, when you come back down to the ground, you body has to bend a little, your knees, your spine, shifting your weight down closer to the ground to reduce strain and regain balance - then you pull out and ready the weapon again. That should take some time, maybe 7-8 seconds but enough time to balance it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:43 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

XenoKiLLer wrote:
So I suggest, instead of making jumping stamina based, they could just make it that after each jump you are disoriented for a few secs making aiming straight harder but not impossible.

XenoKiLLer wrote:
but dont forget the landing, when you come back down to the ground, you body has to bend a little, your knees, your spine, shifting your weight down closer to the ground to reduce strain and regain balance - then you pull out and ready the weapon again. That should take some time, maybe 7-8 seconds but enough time to balance it out

those are great idea's, not only will it improve the gameplay, but its also very realistic what you've suggested.

im really into realistic features that also improve the gameplay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:18 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

This is probably the first time we have agreed on somethnig in the past 7 months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:57 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

XenoKiLLer wrote:
This is probably the first time we have agreed on somethnig in the past 7 months.

It's more like the first time we have all agreed on something Dragon suggested (at least for a while, that is).

Conversations this mature have been vastly scarce on these forums, and I have to say it's quite refreshing. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:49 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I dont agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:50 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Toe Cutter wrote:
I dont agree.

Then you will be assymilated!

I won't let you ruin this moment!

I WON'T LET YOU!!! :evil:

lol...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:06 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

if you state maturely why you don't like the idea, we can come up with a compromise. :)