All times are UTC

Post subject: maximum number of players
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:10 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

post here you own opinion of how many players a server should be limited to,

my choice:

evry server should have the limit of 18 players, it should be hardcoded, server host's shouldnt be able to increase the number of players,

why? because if a server have too many players it will make the this game less immersive, it doesnt give new player's the total experience,

first impressions can make allot of new player's stay,
imagine a new player who plays high quality games, games that wich you can only play with 14 players online to have the total experience, imagine that player joining a server in TC:E thats like crap, like having too many spawn killers, and way too many idiots standing in your way, it gives TC:E a bad name, devs need to crawl in a perspective of a new player if they wanna make their game more popular,

so therefor i choose "18" to be the maximum number of players.
14 would be okay too, it gains the stealth factor, but the maps would need to be adjusted if 14 was the maximum number of players.

Last edited by Dragonathan on Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:47 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Well first of all TCE really isnt a stealth game. If it is to show realism, as much as possible keep the team sizes realistic. A normal squad is around 8-13 people, atleast that is how it is in the army. That makes up for 26 players total.

The thing is, if a server with 32 players and 80% of them are all those things you mentioned from hackers to spawnkillers, does it really make a difference if you lower the player count to around 18? If there were 16 spawnkillers or lamers among the 32 players - how does limiting the server count to just 18 change that? That would only mean thate there will be less people on a server - which means more servers are needed - which means longer search times - but above all that does not eliminate the cheaters, they will always be around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:05 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

if a server is less crowded, it makes the game more immersive, and more enjoyable.

i dont mind more servers, its the empty servers that annoys me.

less players means better quality and graphics,

TC:E isnt a stealth game but that doesnt mean you cant increase the stealth factor, what would you rather have.. a stealthy tactical shooter or a fast paced tactical shooter, id rather have a stealth tactical shooter because i love it and its more immersive and less arcady.

Last edited by Dragonathan on Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:47 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I"d like to argue stalth games being less arcadey, but I will refrain from that point.

also, less players =/= better graphics. better graphics=better graphics. not to mention the fact that many players (including me) will turn down graphics to minimum to boost frame rates and reduce lag.

in HL2 SP, I have graphics cranked, with 6x antialiasing, high texture quality, the works. when I got to garrys mod (online) I drop everything to medium (low is too low, it's like CoD graphics.)why? so I don't lag people to death.

also, until you've played a well-organised 10vs10 game, you don't know what you're missing. it's TONS of fun. and, it prevents spawnkilling, because there's always someone guarding the spawn.

and let me put this again. having less players will mean there are less players. not better graphics, but less players. graphics are dependant on the engine and the quality of the modelers (we don't need to worry about the latter for TC:E)

also, lag is still a factor in small games. I've played a 1 vs 1 and still gotten a 400 ping. it's part of life, and you learn to live with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:01 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

i agree wit Dragonathan cause with less players there would be less lag and better gameplay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

By having only about 6 less players you actually don't reduce lag that much. In order for you to actually 'feel' or 'see' a reduction in lag, you have to play 1 vs 0 players. :lol:

There is already a hard coded max player limit for the gametypes. Though its higher in BC and CTF than OBJ. I think OBJ's max is about 20, or 16 players. CTF and BC are 32.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:12 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

guess so...but i dont think there should be 32 players in BCs and CTF servers
i think there should be more like........26 players or something in the mid-20s just cause i dont really like the idea of 32 players cramped into 1 server

but of course it has to be a even number like 24 or 26 so there r even # of players on each team 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:40 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

What he wants is to eliminate cheaters and lamers by simply lower the number of players on servers - it is clear that doing so will not work as planned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:07 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

what?? i didnt said that, all i was saying is to limit the number of player's to 18 to give new player's the total experience, and its also more enjoyable and immersive if a server isnt so crowded,

thats all i said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:29 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I would tell the server admins to try to keep sizes under 20 for obj and CTF, but for BC, the more the merrier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:08 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

OBJ based is much better when there are only a few people around. BC and CTF however are more fun with alot of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:46 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Dragonathon, why dont you just rent your own server and set it up any way you want. Then why dont you create your own mod instead of filling the forums with every nitpickie little thing you can think of. A genius such as yourself shouldn't have any problem creating your own game thats absolutly perfect in every way. What will you call it? I just cant wait for the first release so we can spend all our time telling you what a piece of crap every detail is. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:51 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Dont start flaming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:59 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

XenoKiLLer wrote:
Dont start flaming

Yeah, this thread isn't truely pointless, I can see Dragon's point (to an extent).

We're cracking down on flames, so don't push your luck.... we won't hesitate to push back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:35 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Ok, so whats the point of limiting every game to way you want to see it played, renting a 20 slot server is pretty cheap. I do agree that too many people in the game creates chaos, but if I have a problem with it I can always go to another server.