All times are UTC

Post subject: death animations/collision detection
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:18 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

kerber_cs wrote:
One of many games that proves that nice death animations with collision detection would look far better than these ragdolls imo. Havent seen good ragdolls in any unreal 2 based game. The better ones are in HL2, but it still needs some improvement.

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~geom/collide/

i think this is the solution for the death animation, i think what kerber suggested is a good replacement for ragdoll physics... infact it might be even better, cause ragdoll physics can sometimes be way too exeggerating...

collision detection is just the answer for the proper realistic death animations,
some ps3 games dont even have ragdoll physics but collision detection, cause this feature is sufficient enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:21 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

UE2 and Source ragdoll are controled by a physics simulator engine running on CPU power. Games that use ragdoll do not have preanimated deathanimations instead, when a player gets killed, they just are just dropped as ragdolls and fall into what ever they hit on the environment. Ragdoll simply isnt just a death animation effect but it is a collision detection simluation that can be used to give accurate movement for player avatars. Remember the prblem in TCE where you get stuck in door ways, with ragdoll physics, small objects that normally get you stuck will and can be moves, or your avatar will simply walk over it like in real life.

ET uses the Quake3 engine, it has basic collision detection but, by default collision detection only affects currently player controled avatars. Weapons and limbs are not affected by collision detection but the 2 main hitboxes in the head and torso can and will get stuck even in the most unrealistic locations such as a tight doorway which in reality you can sqeeze through.

The best death animations is not plain ragdoll like in Source or UE2, or basic animations like in CS1.6 and TCE. Combining sets of death animations with realistic body and limb reaction depending on object weight (weapons and armor) plus the integration of ragdoll/collision detection to prevent limbs from falling through a solid surface. Also, in anycase the corpses were to be flying, a proper physics engine in comnbination with preanimated scenes, will create the most realistic simulation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:30 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

TBH, the .49 system rewuirements just subtracted a good 5-10 FPS from my ping, so I'm against ragdoll, mostly for the "keep it running on lower-end computers" factor.

now, with slim corpse hitboxes and better anims, we can make it look better, but not need that much CPU power (but maybe a meg or two mor HD space.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:24 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Ragdoll would make TCE amazing, but the ET engine wouldn't do it, it would have to be ported to a new engine, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:40 pm 
High Master
High Master

Yep.

Plus, in my experience, ragdoll physics is overrated.

When Warrock still ran on my computer, the deaths looked rather silly more than they did not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:29 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

emphasis on STILL, it is strange that it wouldnt work now... they didnt change the engine or the graphics at all yet that isnt the case for many, like for AA2.7 it works like crap for many people and with all that lag - BF2142 works way better even though it has the more advanced engine with better graphical features. The thing is, games should focus more on gameplay and less on graphics. (I dont know about AA's case and how the hell did the devs make it that laggy and not even improve the graphics)

Games that have great gameplay will still outlast games that are purely techdemos but barely have any gameplay to remember. Look at CS! 8 years and still number 1, I cant say the same about it's players however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:07 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

What the *i-need-a-broader-vocab* Dragon? Why do you always bring the same shit up every time you make a thread? Because every time you do so, one of us needs to give a highly detailed explanation just so you can shoot it down with your stupidity...

Let my summarize what Xeno said... YOU CAN'T *i-need-a-broader-vocab* CHANGE THE PHYSICS WITHOUT CHANGING THE ENGINE! Because if you changed the engine, you would have to *i-need-a-broader-vocab* start everything from square one...

And I for one am not going to sit around for the next 10 *i-need-a-broader-vocab* years waiting for another 0.49...

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

TC:E/ET username = Silentcrisis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:12 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Silentcrisis wrote:
And I for one am not going to sit around for the next 10 *i-need-a-broader-vocab* years waiting for another 0.49...

~Silentcrisis

stupidity huh? look at yourself havent i told you more than 100times that im not responsible for the delays, so please dont protest your retarded useless garbage in my threads, if you really wanna complain than complain to the devs, im not the one thats developing this mod, but thats probably hard for you to understand since you always post "i dont know what the f.ck im saying" posts,

i have a good suggestion why dont you make your own thread with your own suggestions so that evryone can see how retarded your actually are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:53 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Why dont you two cut this out. Enough of this.

The thing is dragon, how many times do we have to tell you, TT is not planning on changing engines anytime soon or anytime at all until some new free game with the same flexibility comes out and that all those things you want that will allow TCE to compete with commercial games are not possible with TCE's current engine. You have to remember that TCE is running on the aging Q3 engine and has its own limitations. Yes TT has pulled it far with HDR and everything, but let me tell you this, TCE's HDR is not true "HDRR" it is known as texture tone mapping which makes the map textures look like they have HDR. So basically, they are just using brighter textures not really much of a technological advancement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:47 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

XenoKiLLer wrote:
Why dont you two cut this out. Enough of this.

The thing is dragon, how many times do we have to tell you, TT is not planning on changing engines

who said a damn thing about changing engines?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:09 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

you implied it by suggesting things that cannot be done under the W:ET engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:42 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

ragdoll,, yes impossible...

collision detection... possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:31 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Actually it is already there, difference between Q3 collision detection and modern collison detection, dead bodies are not calculated, weapons are not calculated, hitboxes are crude and literally boxes. It cant be used for death animations to simulate what ragdoll physics does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:02 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

the death animations in the old Q3/TC looked awesome, the death animation in TC:E is boring, doesnt look appealing, it could use more death actions, if you killed an enemy in Q3/TC you could see how awesome the enemy died, the enemy falls down backwards and makes like a 1 second air time, it looked amusing, and games sepose to be amusing...

but TC:E's death animation is just boring...

Last edited by Dragonathan on Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:45 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

sadly, due to the limbo system in ET, the anims can't be made better.

once that gets sorted out, I'd LOVE to see goldeneye-esque animations. they're awesome. but that's my dreamer side
shut up, you can't have it!no, dreamer me, it's not possible. dont you use that tone of voice! that's it! go to your room!