All times are UTC

Post subject: Newbie question
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:59 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Hello folks.

I have some trouble with these things so im asking help from wiser ppl.
In order to have map rotation and poperly working rounds ect. i need server.cfg and maps.cfg right? How can I create those files? I mean what do I need to type in them so they'll work. :lol:
I have searched for these information but I havent found anything helpful anywhere.

Sorry for being so ignorant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:16 pm 
Master
Master

you can create a .cfg file by just renaming any .txt to .cfg and edit it with a notepad.
here's a server.cfg and a maps.cfg (includes a rotation and swap of teams), they are set up for an obj server. i marked all settings you'll need to change with ...... and added a little description to some important options ///

*Clan Movie #2*|xfire: snakes3k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:37 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Thank you very much, snake. Ofc I knew how to create the file :) I was after those inputs :D. I'll use them as soon as i can. Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:45 pm 
Master
Master

you're welcome, if you need any further help just ask here ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:13 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

will do. Btw how do I load those files. Do I have to host server some other way than just opening the game and pressing host game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:25 pm 
Master
Master

are you trying to run your own server only for yourself? then you wont really need the server.cfg as you can set most things in the option(host game). and i wouldnt recommend to run a public server on your pc unless you have a fast internet connection(high upload rate).
you can load the server.cfg by simply entering /exec server.cfg in the console(^ or ~) or editing your(creating a new) tce shortcut(right-click->properties->target) to: ...ET.exe" +set fs_game tcetest +exec server.cfg +exec maps.cfg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:22 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

SnaKeS3K wrote:
are you trying to run your own server only for yourself? then you wont really need the server.cfg as you can set most things in the option(host game). and i wouldnt recommend to run a public server on your pc unless you have a fast internet connection(high upload rate).
you can load the server.cfg by simply entering /exec server.cfg in the console(^ or ~) or editing your(creating a new) tce shortcut(right-click->properties->target) to: ...ET.exe" +set fs_game tcetest +exec server.cfg +exec maps.cfg

Thanks for those. Na Im not trying to run server only for me. And I think it doesnt have to be really really fast if max playercount is small and clients are not allowed to download missing files directly from the server.
Having a own small server is nice. Got a place where I can mess around with a limited group of ppl. :lol:
I wish I had very fast internet so I could make decent public server. How fast upload speed I would need to maintain objective server for full 20 players btw?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:47 pm 
Master
Master

i think you can count with ~7-10kb/s per player which would be at least 140kb/s upload speed needed to run a decent server, this equals at least a 20mbit/s connection provided by your provider(there are upload differences depending on the provider though, e.g. higher upload).
another thing to remember is that your dsl connection is routed through your isp,... and thus the distance is higher than on a professional gameserver.
to get a more stable server for now, open the server.cfg, decrease the sv_maxrate to 13000, disable downloads (sv_allowdoanload 0) and set the maxclients to 10 or less(dunno how fast your up-speed is).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:59 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

SnaKeS3K wrote:
i think you can count with ~7-10kb/s per player which would be at least 140kb/s upload speed needed to run a decent server, this equals at least a 20mbit/s connection provided by your provider(there are upload differences depending on the provider though, e.g. higher upload).
another thing to remember is that your dsl connection is routed through your isp,... and thus the distance is higher than on a professional gameserver.
to get a more stable server for now, open the server.cfg, decrease the sv_maxrate to 13000, disable downloads (sv_allowdoanload 0) and set the maxclients to 10 or less(dunno how fast your up-speed is).

My connection is 8/1 so my max upload speed ~ 128kb/s. I think ill use that 10 players max or 12 it'll never be crowded so it doesnt matter. Well connection without isp is out of a question so i have to rely on that. :)
Thank you for your kind assistance.