All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:29 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Gentoo since 2003.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:49 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

XenoKiLLer wrote:
What I am saying is games and software - retail industry quality not the open source ones - are normaly made for Windows then ported to linux.

Retail quality?
You mean like the free open source software that is hosting this forum using Apache, PHP and Linux?
Maybe they should purchase a better retail quality software for hosting this forum. But the fact that it is free and open source software does not make it poor quality. Apache, PHP, JSP, Ruby on Rails, MySQL, PHPMyAdmin, WordPress and Zend Optimizer are all high quality open source software that the entire Internet uses in some way.

BTW these were NOT ported from Windows to Linux.

If you are referring to software purchased in a store and is created with Windows in mind, then yes, people do port it to Linux.

Is Linux software ported to Windows? No not really, most of the software available for Linux is also available for Windows just because it is open and not closed source software.

What software are you referring to?

TiVo, is a great piece of hardware, running Linux.

Threre is a FREE Alternative to all retail software that you can purchase in a store.
But if you are referring to the latest Windows game, then no, it is not available to Linux... yet.

I never intended to bring up this debate, but I can only educate those that do not know what is available to them. I am not forcing anybody to switch to Linux or any other operating system or even switch to open source software. If the software did not come preinstalled on the PC or it is not on the shelves in the store, those that do not know any better tend to think it is not good quality. That is a big Myth.
I am stating that there is a free alternative to all propriety software whether it is freeware or open source software it does not matter.

Oh one more thing, the day after Patch Tuesday is Exploit Wednesday. :wink:

Last edited by Cope57 on Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:24 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I said "retail, industry quality" by that I meant what was being used by majority of industries. I only use freeware software when I recommend them to people looking for an alternative because they cant access other software. I use freeware from time to time but often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:01 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Virtually every industry on the planet uses Apache to host their online presence whether they know it or not. I would say that was "retail, industry quality".

I do agree there are a lot of porrly coded open source programs, but is it really any worse than the stuff released for commercial OS's?! At least you can try it for free (without stealing it) and decide if it is crap for yourself. Even better, if it is crap, you can help to fix it!

Games are a hard one; but by the same token, just about all the games I play are available on Linux (No coincidence, since I only have Linux). The blockbusters would be Doom 1&2&3 & Quake 1&2&3&4 & Enemy Territory. I've also managed to happily play all the Relic titles (I love Relic games). Also, anything and everything that runs without 3D hardware acceleration is almost guaranteed to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:10 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

With the part you notice that most of those are from teh same company. Servers are normally Linux based being that linux demands less sytem power hence more power for the service. Anyway, I know why you like linux so much it sbecause it doenst cost you a cent. I just dont want to bother about looking for linux versions of things thats why I dont use linux nor even plan to. If I ever had an extra computer, just maybe for the sake of it and for a game server.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2