All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:23 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

XenoKiLLer wrote:
The only thing capable of destroying a statue while the game timer is still running would be a 30cal antimaterial rifle, a 50 cal machine gun, an explosive (not a frag), ofcourse larger shells from 90mm, 120mm etc.

old statue's are destroyable, you know that story about that english soldier somewhere in the year 1920 -1930 or something,

this english soldier shot an old statue in egypt, that statue is called the jinx or something, he just shot 1 bullet at the statue's nose, and a big piece of the nose fell off, and he whas using a old rifle fromt the year 1920 - 1930,

so yeah, old statues are destroyable, especially with a modern day rifle.

Last edited by Dragonathan on Mon May 15, 2006 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:24 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

if ubisoft can't get it after they revamped the unreal engine to make AN ENTIRELY NEW ONE!!!!

I doubt we will. besides, million of copies sold>small intimate community of about 1-2 thousand tops.

meh, if we did get ads, I'd mod my skins. I happen to dislike corporate brands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:24 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

That is possible but not likely. A company wont pay to be advertised in a game that doesnt even advertise itself. As far as we know, there is about a 200 player base playing TCE at the same time out of the 15000 WET players. What makes you think that a company will pay to advertise for that 200 players? If it was for a big time highly played game, maybe something like CS, they would pay to advertise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:28 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

right... and thats why this mods needs tons of features that an average commercial game has, and it also need some fresh new original features that other games dont have, that will attract more and more players...

some company would be intrested eventually...
maybe... not so sure, but like i said, you'll never know,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:31 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

You dont attract players like that. In fact, it is better that they choose to play the game even if it lacks the features of comercial games rather than playing it only because of those features. What if a new game comes out with even more features? They will leave ofcourse,, but if they were dedicated to what the game is limited to and what it already has, then those players will stick around. (that is the basics of getting your game to become popular amongs the pros. Trying to beat the competition doesnt work in the long run, trust me I know)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:37 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

not true, nowadays its all about the special unique features and eye-candy's

if you let a crowd of peopel choose between an old nintendo mario game from the 80's, and ghost recon,

i think people would be more attracted to ghost recon...

why? because it looks better... it has tons of eye-candy's, tons of special features, ect. ect.

and the mario game is simple, you can jump, steer left and right, and thats about it,

but my point is, a game needs to have tons of features, eye-candy's, to attract allot of players...

Xenokiller wrote:
What if a new game comes out, with even more features?

than you have to keep improving, thats what the gaming industry is all about, being one step ahead than the other...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:10 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

With the current game engine, you can't really get things like the destroying of statues, the overly detailed eye-candy, etc., etc.

If you like Ghost Recon, why don't you go to their forum's and bother them.

And this game isn't as simple as Mario, or as up to date as Ghost Recon.

And your point is actually wrong. Kick ass graphics and really realistic enviroments will attract the people who can actually support the really cool graphics.

This game uses and older engine which means it has, I'll try to make this my point... HAS LIMITATIONS!!!

You can't cram every goddamned feature that you feel into a game such as this because it isn't going to attract everyone.

A game doesn't have to have good graphics or really realistic gameplay in order to attract people. I mean, use Enemy Territory for example. It is the second-most popular online multiplayer game that there is out there, as compared to the Half-Life junkies.

But it just seems that you're completely ignoring our posts and not taking what we are saying seriously. I'll repeat myself...
THIS GAME HAS LIMITATIONS!!!
I don't know how to stress this point anymore than that. There isn't a way to download our points into your mind, because your "Firewall" would probably reject them.

So all that we, the God's of this forum, can do is try and kindly make our points and hope that we make you happy in some way. But I guess that when you're happy, nobody's happy.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

TC:E/ET username = Silentcrisis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:21 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Actually, youll soon see that they will get over it once they finish playing it and move on to the next high quality game. Unlike HL1 and CS players who never abandoned their favorite game because they like playing it for what it is not what eyecandy it has. if you think that a long lasting game with a strong community lasts on what and how many eyecandies it has compared to the competition, then your wrong, dead wrong. The biggest most obvious example that is just waving its @$$ at us is CS1.6. It barely has any eyecany, yet not even the newest games can outrank it until now, 8 years later, still number one. It is quality of gameply that matters not the number of visual effects that only make it less accessible to players who are less fortunately gifted with lots of money to buy the best pcs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:01 am 
Marksman
Marksman

The main idea I had was to develop the universe of the game, not especially adding ads or brands (but TC:E is a realistic modification, and creating a full and strong culture would be a bad idea, it would look Sci-Fi).

To me, using real brands (with permission) is a bad idea for many reasons. Companies will have their own opinion about the ads and the locations of the ads in the map, whatever developers could say. Companies want advertising; and I sincerely doubt they care about the game. For instance, they could ask to see their cola posters on that or that other map, they could refuse to see it across a corner or behind a fence for some marketing reasons. Or even start a war because two different brands are just too close on a wall.

Using well-known monuments won't necessarily mean more immersion but it may indeed give more credibility to a map inspired by an existing place... It include many restrictions : you will have to build original maps (these buildings are huge, but you could include them out for range in the skybox), it also means a lot of documentation of the surrounding of the monument and the country where it's coming from (most people living for real around the monument will be disappointing or upset if they can't recognize the place). AhabTheCapN give another good point in his thread (Mapping ideas by non-mappers for mappers to use--).

Dragonathan wrote:
those decorative monuments will add more immersion, it gives a really cool effect if you can shoot those monuments and see them being destroyed by the bullets, thats totally awesome...
[color=white]edit: especially if you can see allot of dust comming out when you shot at those old buildings and old statue

You really loves to destroy stuff, don't you :wink:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:11 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Dragonathan wrote:
XenoKiLLer wrote:
The only thing capable of destroying a statue while the game timer is still running would be a 30cal antimaterial rifle, a 50 cal machine gun, an explosive (not a frag), ofcourse larger shells from 90mm, 120mm etc.

old statue's are destroyable, you know that story about that english soldier somewhere in the year 1920 -1930 or something,

this english soldier shot an old statue in egypt, that statue is called the jinx or something, he just shot 1 bullet at the statue's nose, and a big piece of the nose fell off, and he whas using a old rifle fromt the year 1920 - 1930,

so yeah, old statues are destroyable, especially with a modern day rifle.

just had to set thigs straight:
the statue is the sphynx, and that is an urban legend. the most plausible story is that when the new pharoh came in, a group radically supporting him went and vandalised the statue, breaking the nose.

the other one is that over the thousands of years in the desert, a sand storm (which are oh so common) ground a bit off, and the nose popped off. the wound is OBVIOUSL older than the '30's, because here is a picture takin in 1867, with the nose missing.

*edit* even better. schetches from the 1700's show the sphynx without a nose. and the one bullet was a cannon ball. mADE to destroy things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:50 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

A cannon ball can be 6 inches wide, a bullet is only 9mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:27 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

alias conrad coldwood wrote:
Dragonathan wrote:
those decorative monuments will add more immersion, it gives a really cool effect if you can shoot those monuments and see them being destroyed by the bullets, thats totally awesome...
[color=white]edit: especially if you can see allot of dust comming out when you shot at those old buildings and old statue

You really loves to destroy stuff, don't you :wink:?

Where can we start about him...

Oh well, if you stick around here long enough you'll find out his true colors. Those are black and white seeing that he never changes his dasterdly ways or malicous posting. :roll:

Just ignore him...

Other than that, I'm still rather confused as to what you want to see in 3rd Party Mapping for I'm not absorbing what point you're trying to make. :P

That could be because the sophistication in your posting is kind of making me read and re-read your posts. :P (No offense :lol:)

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:33 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Silentcrisis wrote:
Other than that, I'm still rather confused as to what you want to see in 3rd Party Mapping for I'm not absorbing what point you're trying to make. :P

That could be because the sophistication in your posting is kind of making me read and re-read your posts. :P (No offense :lol:)

That's exactly what I was thinking too, all apologies. I'll try to make sketches or whatever could help to explain my idea, otherwise it looks like waste of time for everyone.

About Drago, I already know him (well, a bit a least): I play in his team when I can… I don't always share his point of view, but hey, life would be dreary if I was only talking to people who completely agree with me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:33 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Well, he thinks otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:02 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Well, no one agrees with him so his life mustn't be dreary at all. :P

Okay, I'll admit some people agree with him. Those are the multiple accounts that he creates.:lol:

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next