All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:39 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

The best way to get players for TCE is to introduce them to ET first thing, let them play it for a few months, then introduce them to TCE. This will also remove the confusion that TCE is standalone and people will know they need ET to play TCE. Besides, you might also want to help boost the game that started it all, ET in order to lay the foundations of boosting TCE itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:04 am 
Expert
Expert

Hm. Depends....

I agree with you regarding the familiarization thing etc. - problem is that TC:E and ET appeal to a completely different audience (arcade ww2 vs. present day [or 80ies] realism). Many people who could become passionate TC:E players wouldn't like to play ET for even an hour (not to mention that ET looks so much more outdated). One thing that the devs should not forget, if they start their PR "campaign": the brand "Enemy Territory" becomes more and more popular again because of ET: Quakewars. Sites like http://enemy-territory.com/ did redesigns and have much more visitors now. Many of them don't only focus on QW but still feature oldschool Wolf:ET. Advertising TC:E on these sites could be helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:04 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

ofcourse. It is best to try and reach the ET community at its heart. Trying introduce someone from somewhere else who hasnt heard of ET since isnt going to like the problems that will surface during the installation of TCE as we all know it has been a big problem for most of our new members. A lot of us here played ET first for a couple months, then found TCE. We had no problems because we knew it was a mod and does not install like a retail game. Other players however dont know this.

www.planetwolfenstien.com
www.enemy-territory.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:52 am 
Expert
Expert

That is true. But I thought the interest in Enemy Territory(:QW) might bring NEW players to those community sites especially people who never were WET players. It would be good to "grab" these by presenting TC:E there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:05 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

We go full public. We can make a wikipedia page on TCE. Ofcourse, several promotional threads on various ET and gaming forums. I can make PDFs, yet I still dont have Pagemaker and Acrobat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:20 am 
Expert
Expert

LoK allready started a wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueCombat_Elite.

Something that would be useful, imho is a complete WIKI for TC(:E). That would also solve the newbie installation problems etc.

"For step by step installation instructions please visit the TC:E Wiki". Something like that. Should I register one at Wikia.com or does TT have some resources to host a MediaWiki? That had the advantage of a subdomain like wiki.truecombat.com - It wouldn't be too much work for the devs, too. Due to the nature of a wiki (every user edits pages), they only had to set up the software. Usually, a Wiki is "self-moderated". They could post something about a "non-official nature" of the wiki entries and that would be all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:17 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Diane wrote:
Looking at the situation realistically, I feel that we will lose more players than gain.

ok heres my perspective,

this mod has a player base of 450/500 people,

now i assume these 450/500 people are hardcore TrueCombat fan's

and i assume they will download 0.49 when its released,
no doub.

i assume they will fill in the e-mails,
no doub

i dont think its gonna lose players, but its definitely only gonna multiply the player base,

maybe not all the 5 emails will be read by the people that received the email,
but 1 or 2 of the 5 emails will definitely be read, thats just a shure thing.

Diane wrote:
I personally hate referral emails (a friend has invited u to sign up for some site etc)

were not talking about a crappy site, where you can fill in all your personal things like pictures, personal profile, to show to all the people on the internet ect. ect.

but were talking about a awesome free game, thats even better than allot of commercial games

this even more easier than registering an new account,
and making a new account is really required in allot mmorpg games,

and most mmorpg games has thousands and millions of registered players,

i dont think something thats easier than registering an account will reduce the player base,

but its only gonna gain the player base,

but thats my perspective and view of point,

Last edited by Dragonathan on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:27 pm 
Expert
Expert

I understand your calculation and it really makes sense if you look at the numbers. What numbers don't count is the decrease of reputation TC:E will gain trough this. Massmail = Spam. That is what most people think. And TC:E should better not be part of this associativity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:34 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Your idea is like America's idea to go to war in Iraq.

The anology being us shoving democracy into their face would be much like us shoving TC:E in everyone's friends faces.

TC:E is like anything. If people like it, they will tell their friends. And it's like a chain reaction from there on out.

With more releases will come more people. With more people... this spammish idea you thought of won't be needed.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

TC:E/ET username = Silentcrisis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:29 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

the thing is, the chain reaction will only work if the persons who were introduced to TCE actually enjoyed it. I doubt that they wont but with the issue regarding the installation which most people are finding hard to get right, well, that makes all the callculations incorrect. Infact, if the game's installation was much easier, the growth of the player count would be exponential suppose each person who liked it introduced it to the same number of friends as the other players. Yet the thing is, not all who try it like it, and not all who are introduced to it even bother because of the ET-TCE installation and patch-048 complications during and after installation. It would be good if the design of the mod is like other mods, they download themselves directly into the ET directory and load through ET's mod loader instead of having a complicated installation. All we have to do then is get people to get into the servers feeding the mod out.

As you can see, our efforts in publisizing TCE in other forums isnt working that well. Thats because not everyone wants to play it or even bother trying. That is because they are already hooked into battlefield2 or CS and would careless about any freebie game. TCE has a reputation to its fans but a poor reputation among the elite gamers. Just once if it were featured in gamespy and fileplanet with full detail, especially on the issue of installation, we can expect atleast a 25% boost in population.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:00 am 
Expert
Expert

Hey, how cool is that: http://www.rainbowsix.org/portal_articles1915.html

It's a german R6 community and the author is writing about R6: Lockdown and that many R6 players are disappointed by the game. The title of the article is "Alternative! True Combat: Elite - the better Lockdown?".

The article is very good, the guy really knows what he's talking about. He even discusses league capability etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:30 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

That's really good. A group of over a thousand people that play Lockdown may see that and try it.

I will consider doing the same thing for www.rvsgaming.com because I know what some people think about Lockdown.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:33 pm 
Expert
Expert

Great idea. But I think you should wait for the .49 release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:39 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

I was planning on doing that, whenever the release shall be.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:52 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

I like your sig, melmoth.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next