All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:24 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

TC:E physics are fine the way they are, I shoot you die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:02 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

well, that is the primary idea. I suppose what he is looking for is animation physics. Since we cant have ragdoll, not as long as we continue to use WET engine, we are stuck with what we have so we should just live with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:23 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

yes the wet engine sucks, but look how many improvements and upgrades the devs did on this wet-engine,

they busted the myth of "that it is impossible to make a mod look kick ass on the wet-engine"

IMO they should stay with the wet engine,

im sure there are some source/codes or whatever, that allows you to do stuff that the wet-engine actually cant do,

im not a modder or a professional game developer, so fogive me if i sound stupid asking this question,

but isnt it possible to fuse 2 engines together or something?
like fuse some codes and stuff,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:47 pm 
Expert
Expert

Dragonathan wrote:
but isnt it possible to fuse 2 engines together or something?like fuse some codes and stuff,

Hehe...we could FUZE them together: Image

I have no idea about C/C++ etc. but from everything I know about programming (some expericence with less potent languages like PASCAL and all that old stuff), I'd say: Nope. It'd be two completely different pieces of programs. You can't just "implement" certain "modules" or such. Even with engines that are "relatives", so to say, (like WET and Q3A or Q2 and HL) I wouldn't expect this to be easy or possible at all. If it was, it sure wouldn't be worth the effort. The problem is that TT/G6 really made things possible with WET that are impressive and nobody would have expected, but there IS a limit. You can't do everything with it. Your nice looking water, i.e., the one from the Joint Ops screenshot, requires DX 8.1 shaders. WET can't handle them. Shiny weapon effects (water in rainy scenarios i.e.) needs shaders. You can't implement bumpmapping, dynamic light and so much more. And it's not like you could just copy and paste a piece of another engine's code and *swooosh*, now it can have new features. Even better physics or ragdoll would require a complete rewrite of the code (and a licensed engine like Havok, which is rather expensive, ofc.). WET is free. That is the advantage. That's all, I'm afraid. Okay, it has this mission scripting stuff...

WET also isn't exactly good for realism gamedesign:

ISM wrote:
the funny thing is if you guys knew how little time I have to invest in the mod and the modelling it makes me wonder why commercial models suck so hard in detail and quantity. Too bad the ET shaders are so crappy that the detailed modelling and texturing gets crapped over by te q3 engine. The render angle of the weapons is also no good too. In CSS they have the weapons rendered in a seperate fov as the player fov. I wish ET had such an option too :(

Melmoth wrote:
ISM, I think I can understand how you must feel about the engine´s shortcomings. But you guys should be proud of what you got out of ET/Q3. I´m looking forward to see your models in TC: Quake Wars. ;)

ISM wrote:
God no! Quake engines old or new are not really supportive for realism gaming. Its a sad I know.
We'd be better of doing a mod for Ghost Recon 3 or even HL2 really. It would cut down on the workload by 80% just out of the fact that its already a realism supportive engine that has shaders and code geared towards realistic experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:03 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Dragonathan wrote:
yes the wet engine sucks, but look how many improvements and upgrades the devs did on this wet-engine,

they busted the myth of "that it is impossible to make a mod look kick ass on the wet-engine"

IMO they should stay with the wet engine,

im sure there are some source/codes or whatever, that allows you to do stuff that the wet-engine actually cant do,

im not a modder or a professional game developer, so fogive me if i sound stupid asking this question,

but isnt it possible to fuse 2 engines together or something?
like fuse some codes and stuff,

You aren't getting what we are saying!!!

In order to change the wet engine in any way, shape, or form; you would have to completely restart everything from block 1.

This game has taken several long, hard-working years to make.

So what you are asking for is for them to drop everything they've been so successful on to this point just because the physics aren't realistic enough for you?

I'm not saying this to start a flame war with you, so don't take it in that way. But I feel like I'm beating a dead horse trying to convince you that improving the engine is a no-no.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

TC:E/ET username = Silentcrisis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:06 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Dragonathan wrote:
[color=orange]they busted the myth of "that it is impossible to make a mod look kick ass on the wet-engine"[color]

When did anyone say it was impossible to make it look good? As a recall, most of us were saying that those certain things suggested were impossible for the engine, none of us said it is impossible to make it "look good and kick ass"

It is impossible to fuse two engines together. It is like fusing/conjoining two different cells into one. (cells being the building blocks of life, and the game engine being the heart/foundation of a game). First of all trying it would be harder than mking a new engine. Second, it would be illegal as that violates the EULA, "modding the engine" or tampering. Third, they would conflict each other like matter and antimatter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:26 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Anti-matter kicks ass. :P

You can get such a higher energy release from it. I think 1 antimatter atom has the power of 1,000,000 matter atoms...

Probably a smaller number, but in a forum, everything is overly dramatic. :roll:

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:30 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

actually annihilation works different from that. One matter atom is the exact equivalent but opposite of an antimatter atom. An electron is a positron. Either way both are perfect opposites. It is said that there are no antimatter particles anywhere near this part of the universe. Although a single atom may seen miniscle and tiny, too small to do damge. When a single matter particle and a single antimatter particle both of equal quantities make full contact, they annihilate each other release alot, as in alot of energy in its purest form. It is said that when the bigbang created the universe, it created both matter and antimatter, but there was significantly alot more matter than antimatter. Upon creation, both particles immediately destroyed each other leaving the surplus of the higher numbered particle, matter.

As you see in that analogy I made earlier, putting two engines two run as one, which is impossible but if it were to ever be done, it would result in either engine trying to compete over who gets to do what its suppose to do for the user, possibly cancelling each other's work or considering the work of the other as a malfunction of bug and crash both. A game engine is like an animal, two animals of the same species can have an offspring. Two different animals will simply ignore each other or kill each other.

Hope this clears things up
------------------------------
Imagine what a Positron rifle can do? If a battery powerful enough to power a device that can safely contain antimatter particles and latter disperse them upon a target. That is a bullet that no armor can protect you from. (except for a high power magnet of the same charge, that will deflect it as the laws of attraction and repulsion states.) Good thing that is not possible at this time. (Although CERN has created antihydrogen in a lab)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:54 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

In order for antimatter to be sustained in a space without becoming regular matter again, you have to have an electric field powerful enough to hold the antimatter, probably possible with the power gained from a fusion reaction.

Or you need a constant magnetic current in order to keep the antimatter stable.

My theory is that if you took a fusion reaction using antimatter you could get cold fusion. Since it takes great heat to sustain fusion, I figured that with anti-matter, you could get anti-heat or cold and still sustain fusion, hence cold fusion.

Although, I really can't prove my theory without a lab and some antimatter. :P

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:20 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Thats not the thing. antimatter isnt matter in another form. It is exaclty like matter but the exact opposite of it. If they were to make contact with each other they would simple cancel out like (+1)+(-1)=0

That is the thing. antimatter is as stable as regular matter in its natural form, im not sure about sythetic antimatter. In order to keep it from annihilating, you must keep it away from matter and since we cant have a physical stucture to hold it away, energy would be an option, but sustaining its power would require a power source that is capable of powering something for a long time.

Well that is a analogy there, where the opposite would be able to get the oppsite resulting radiation. Yet, as I recall, cold fusion is similar to a fusion reaction minus the radiation, that includes heat and other forms of radiation, releasing only pure light energy. You do have a point there but I dont think that only because you used antimatter you would get anti-heat. There are alot of things that are still unclear to us. As soon as we discover the secret to sustainable fusion reaction, that qualifies humans as a type 1 civilzation in the Kardashev Scale. As it states, there are severe consequences in the transition from type 0 to type 1 if we dont use the technology of harnessing the same power that fuels the sun for the right purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:26 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

ummm...

this scares me, I UNDERSTOOD that all....
and I have a science exam today :shock:

and it's on energy...

the only problen I see is:

if antimatter is the pure opposie (which it is) energ could cause it to become unstable, possibly ripping the positrons out of orbit, because it would require anti-energy...

am I on to something?

or am I just crazy...

anyhoo,

the amount of energy that is required would be extremely high, due to some atoms being near-perfectly balanced in thier charge, and virtually unaffected by magnets. UNLESS it were a photon cannon, aimed at the individual atoms/neutrons/protons/electrons/quarks, or an uber photon cannon (laser pointer pl0x?) aimed at small groups of them. with enough power, it could push the particles of matter back. the only problem is containing the anti-matter, since it would require near-absolute zero tempuratures to be conttained effectively. this is possible, but requires large amounts of sustained power (see this link)

it;s very tricky, but if done right, can work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:58 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I dont think your teacher will give you anything on this, but if you are interested there are alot of good books in the library on thoretical, particle, and quantum physics which should be interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:16 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

I'm probably going to MIT when I graduate, in 3 years... (Planning ahead :D).

Fusion fused, haha humor B), my interest in Physics and Antimatter completed it.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:25 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

mmm quantum physics...

true story:

two groups of college students are talking about different subjects. group A is talking about quantum physics, and group B is talking about My little pony. both groups occasionally add to the others conversations. the one that knows the least about the other: group A.

NASA tech wrote:
it's not brain surgery

brain surgeon wrote:
it's not rocket science

I'm going into modeling/programming. I soooo gotta learn javascript.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:42 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Im going to graphics design for both 3d animation in realtime and post rendering with a bit of c++ programming, guess what industry I'll end up with.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next