All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:08 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

still no match IMO. TC:E has just about solved the flattened edges on circles as far as I see, and some of the stuff in that was still not good enough IMO. get the Half-Life 2 demo over steam, and play it. on low detail you'll see the resemblance.

lol, the last part of "we don't go to ravenholm" was sooooooo cliché. "here, wait for this extremely slow vehicle and face hordes of enemies as you are doing so.

thank god for the small amount of lag (slowed the NPC's down just enough for me to pull the wool over thier eyes)

tip: when the zombies are coming up the pipes, hit them in the headcrab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:13 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

half life is not my type of game,
i hate it when you see monsters/zombies or whatever in the game.

im more into realism, with a tiny bit hollywoord fiction and a tiny bit sci-fi,
like ghost recon or metal gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:17 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I"m talking graphics-wise.

the source engine is the current standard for graphics AFAIK, and matching it on low detail on Q3. :shock: damn near impossible.

bottom line: I'm fine with staying on ET. the lighting in cube seems f*cked up, and ET supports small amounts of dynamic lighting (if done correctly. may be hard. hmmm.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:22 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

it wrote:
ET supports small amounts of dynamic lighting (if done correctly. may be hard. hmmm.)

if thats true, than ill agree with you,
wheres the prove?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:26 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I'll re-install ET and get a screen of the options menu. If I'm not mistaken, ET and RTCW are really close, and if I manage to duplicate the settings, I can get the dynamic to work juuuuust right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:08 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Ok look, the ONLY thing Saur has over WET is an on-the-fly map editor and some impressive lighting. The engine itself is relatively weak. Have you LOOKED at the character models in that game? HORRIBLE! You must be OUT OF YOUR FREAKING MIND if you think Saur > WET in terms of overall performance! Have you actually PLAYED Saur? I HAVE! I've even tinkered with the code a little to add a zoom feature. Do you realize that to add a zoom feature you only need ONE LINE OF SCRIPT!?! It's PRIMATIVE! You don't believe me? Load up the map called "Face"...... oh look, it's a remake of "Facing Worlds" from UT (the first one)..... yes, it's impresive, but you can just compare these two maps (and games) and see that Saur is a nice little gem, but by no means better qualified for TC:E than WET......

Court Adjurned....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:02 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

They have fixed it already. The maps already look really good. Its only the models for the avatar that are still a bit old school ET. (well maybe alot, they even look the same by face)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:27 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Cube has 3D models (MD2) and Quake like shades but it's not going much further. The walls are only made of 90° and 45° angles, maps are simply made of "cubes". Shortly, the cube engine is half way between Quake and Build Engine (Duke3D, Blood etc). That's weak for realistic architectures. (It's very funny, but I wouldn't make a realistic game with this engine :()

(useless notice) I use to love the Tenebrae engine (based on Quake) and Tenebrae² (based on Tenebrae plus Quake 3 Arena map support and a few other neat tricks) but unfortunately, it seems that it isn't on track anymore and I wonder if there's any net code neither. Also, it require good hardware and the game code is still this good old QC (Quake 1).

I believe WET engine is good enough. I mean... you can have a low-end engine and exploit it perfectly. The same way, you can use the latest technologies and never create anything interesting. Making games is always about cheating with hardware and software limitations, but until you're not reaching a critical point and you don't have any other choice, I think that's ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:48 pm 
Expert
Expert

alias conrad coldwood wrote:
I believe WET engine is good enough. I mean... you can have a low-end engine and exploit it perfectly. The same way, you can use the latest technologies and never create anything interesting. Making games is always about cheating with hardware and software limitations, but until you're not reaching a critical point and you don't have any other choice, I think that's ok.

Good points, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:48 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

the reason for using ET is because it already is a multiplayer online team based shooter and not to mention that you can get it free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:54 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

ET is perfect for TCE because it was easy for the team to port over their base code (from Q3). Not to mention that it's free and supports all 3 major OS platforms.

The later two points is what really "sold" the idea to do TCE on WET.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:02 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

and therefore, WET (from now on we should always refer to it as "Wolfenstein Enemy Territory" as not to confuse new players into thinking this is a mod for the upcoming "EnemyTerritory QuakeWars") is the best possible game to based TCE on and still have a player base that is capable of competing against the top notch retail online shooters. Latest I checked, WET is the top 4 most played online shooter following Battlefield2 and is played by more people than America's Army.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2