All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: game engine thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:56 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Cube is a free, open source Quake-like first-person shooter computer game that runs on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X and even Pocket PC devices with 3D acceleration such as Dell Axim x50. It uses OpenGL and SDL. Cube features both single-player and multiplayer gameplay.

A "Next-Gen Cube" engine, called Sauerbraten is being currently developed. It is also open-source, features similar gameplay but more complex level geometry, and is already playable.

http://www.cubeengine.com

download directly:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=91993

Last edited by Dragonathan on Tue May 02, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: free open-source game, cube engine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:16 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Sauerbraten: cube 2
http://sauerbraten.org

Quote:
The internal representation of a deformable cube is very different from a vertex based representation, and is based on "edge spans" which allows the engine to represent any kind of shape uniformly in just 12 bytes. This means it can hold great amounts of geometry in memory and maps on disk are small. To render this kind of geometry, the engine goes through a process of converting the internal representation to vertices using plane intersections based on the edge ranges, culls coinciding faces, merges vertices etc. to arrive at something which renders efficiently by hardware and caches this in chunks based on the octree. This allows Sauerbraten a significantly higher polygon throughput than Cube while maintaining its ability to have dynamic geometry.

The current impleme

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:27 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

yay, let's throw away a few years of work and start over again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:48 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

it wrote:
yay, let's throw away a few years of work and start over again!

acutally, they waiste more years using wet-engine,
an animation that requires 5 months of work with the wet-engine,
could be done in 5 days with the cube-engine,

and they could implent features such as ragdoll physics, dynamic lightning, dynamic shadows, ect. ect.

im not saying that it is 100% possible,
but theres a possibility that it could be as powerful like
CELLFACTOR:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=9855&type=wmv

that means that you will have something thats 3 or 5 times more powerful than the half-life engine.

IMO 0.49 should be released next week, and the devs should start working on this cube-engine

Last edited by Dragonathan on Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:54 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

hmmm, planned release date: mar. 31. todays date: mar. 27. I say they must release it in five days (buffer for mirror problems, etc.)

what I'm saying is it toook them about a year and a half to get this one version out, and to work on a different engine would make them lose all thier work.

also, what about those of us who cannot download files without permission, and got ET through RTCW platinum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:02 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

it wrote:
what I'm saying is it toook them about a year and a half to get this one version out, and to work on a different engine would make them lose all thier work.

i think there's a way to import all the codes into that engine,
from what i understand is that this game engine is almost the same like the Quake engine, it only has more extra features.
and its free, free like the WET-ENGINE, only 100 times more powerful

it wrote:
also, what about those of us who cannot download files without permission, and got ET through RTCW platinum.

sorry i dont really understand what you mean, can you explain it more clearly?

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:07 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

some people are under restrictions due to firewalls, supervisors, etc. and the only reason they have access to TC:E is because they got the right version of RTCW that came with ET.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:18 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

well if you have problems with your firewall, or you cant get the files cause the supervisor blockt evrything,

than thats your own personal problem that you need to solve on your own,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:08 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Cube or Sauerbraten are of minor value. There are a lot of better alternatives, than using this sort of game core, since those listed above are made for arcade games. TC:Elite on the other hand aims more in the dircetion of a tactical shooter with very realistic elements.

Main criterion which is speaking against any sort of standalone or GPU-based release, nevertheless, is, that they do not wish to share their code with any others!

Also cheatprotection, advanced mapping tools and their gathered experience with quake related software is coming in handy, which would cause a big banana skin, if they would change.

If you have always been working with one game core, have the know-how and also achived quite a lot of success (tc:q3), then you might want to stick to the quake-line.

ET's (PLC) product life cycle is still not expired, yet. It is still in the "Cash Cows" period, which means, that it has a huge share of the market, while this other one mentioned above will never pass the "Question Marks" period and will soon be a so called Poor Dog.
---
Bottom-line: No one plays this sort of game, while ET has a huge community, which can get extracted with a high quality product as TC:Elite.

Compare the following:

CUBE:

W:ET

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:41 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

don wrote:
Also cheatprotection, advanced mapping tools and their gathered experience with quake related software is coming in handy, which would cause a big banana skin, if they would change.

If you have always been working with one game core, have the know-how and also achived quite a lot of success (tc:q3), then you might want to stick to the quake-line.

yes i agree,

but what about ragdoll physics? dynamic lighting?
these features are very importent to have if you wanna compete with other games, to keep your game/mod up to date, you really need to have these features, these features are really importent to have in the game now a days.

this mod's physics is really outdated. allot of people dont play tce anymore, they play other mod's that TCE cant compete with

the features that i have mentioned are very very difficult to implent on the WET-engine,
i heard it is possible, but the devs would never manage to implent this in theyre hole entire life time,

no wonder they only have about 8 active members.
working with less than 10 people on a game-engine thats really difficult and complex to modify things, is insane,

they really need to have more people in the team,
if you check out one of those commercial games, and check out the credits,
you will see how many people worked on the project,

more than 100, sometimes more than 250 people,

and sometimes the game still have allot of bugs, even if so many people worked on the game,

imagine just 8 or 9 people working on this totally converted mod,
thats actually not a mod, but more like a hole complete game,
because ET and TrueCombat is totally different,

thats just Crazy,
and thats why its better to have more people in the team,
i saw a talented modeler, showing all his work on the main.forum,
and it looked impressive,
the weird thing is, that Coroner didnt let him join the team,

thats almost the same like refusing 100million dollars from someone thats willing to just give away that amount of money.

a handful of people can make things more easier, and allot of things can be done more quickly.

wich means, they'll hear less complains about "wheres the update" from the true fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:39 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

me no likey cube for a couple reasons:
1. no cheat protection. aimbots and wallhacks will take over. this is a definite thing. I've already seen like 20 people get busted for 'em in TC:ET
2. graphics. we have THE best WET graphics, and I don't think cube can handle it.
3. Playerbase!!! this is a big one. on Xfire, since I can remember, ET has been around the #2 download for free games, and hasn't dipped below 5. Yes, most of these people won't get TC:E, but if 1% go for TC:E, that's about another 1000 players.
4.other mods. many people get ET just for mods, and I personally use TC:E most of the time (not all!) for ET, and there are literally hundreds of other mods, as well as a few bot mods.

IMO, switching engines, and throwing away all the WET work is a biiiiiiig step backwards, because the devs are farmiliar with ET, and they would need to go over the cube code a few times to figure out how to mod it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:15 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

The best engine move in any case would be to Q3 GPL, which would be quite easy as ET is heavily based on it. Its an engine that the devs are used to working with (for ~5 years or so now) and it has endless posibilities. But thats not going to happen in a near future (as its been stated many times).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:59 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

the funny thing is, I think that Q3 TC is on Q3 GPL...

best to just stay on ET, than to hae to rebuild a playerbase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:28 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Q3TC 1.X code is lost... however TCE is based on q3tc 0.45b13, which is on Q3. ET has a lot of limitations though. Like the issues with the playermodels/animations, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:00 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

it wrote:
2. graphics. we have THE best WET graphics, and I don't think cube can handle it.

Sauerbraten: cube 2
http://sauerbraten.org

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next