All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Way Too Many Threads & Too Much Spam
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:03 am 
Master
Master

The Developers of this mod do it as a hobby!

I've worked on six Mod Teams and two commercial games and I have to tell you; even a professional game Dev Team of thirty, working full-time and being paid could not possibly implement a tiny fraction of the suggestions on this forum -- even if the posts were better organized and ledgible.

If you think a Hobby Mod Team is going to weed through a mess like this to read your 'Pet Wish' your fooling yourselves... The fact that most of the posts here are so poorly written they barely resemble English taught at the 3rd grade level, that nearly every thread meanders so far off topic it's ridiculous, and that it would take even a motivated Dev Team that desired reading this sort of thing more time to read this barely readable cocatination of jabber then they actually have to work on the mod -- should, I would hope, raise Fan concern here for getting forum post priorities in order.

Mod and Game Developers are not bored kids with lots of spare time to read forums... In fact they're typically very productive, results oriented people that seek the company and interaction of similar people. If you want your suggestions read, no less considered, no less implemented -- I suggest you:

1. Write Clearly

Use sentences with correct English Grammar, spelling, and punctuation (or at least try). Many of the TC:E Dev Team are not native English speakers, and your slang, misspellings, horrid grammar, sloppy formating, and gibber-jabber make for posts they can barely understand. If you can't take the time to write a good, clear, literate post and spell check it -- why should a Game Developer take the time to bother trying to decipher what you're saying?

2. Prioritize

I would bet money that less then three valid suggestions in these fourms could in a reasonable amount of time be implemented in TC:E -- there just aren't the Developer resources of time and talent... So it would be prudent to decide on what's important to you and focus on that. Better yet find out what's important that others seem to agree on and focus on that.

2. Stay On Topic

Don't digress, socialize, personalize in game design threads... The reasons should be obvious; the more crap you add, the less readable and functional a thread becomes as a good game design discussion and possible reference material for a Dev Team. There are plenty of other sub forums you can carry on in detail about you're personal preferences, life crisis, or attack your favorite forum nemesis in...

Of course you're welcome to post here pretty much as you please; I'm only making a constructive suggestion, but it's from first hand experience and if this is a Mod you really care about -- it's something you might want to take to heart and give the Dev Team back as much as they're giving you by making your posts here more of a contribution and less of an "About me, my pet wishes, and brilliant ideas..."...

Do what you will...

Δ

Last edited by hoak on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:27 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Good points. It would be nice if EVERYBODY could follow them...

Post subject: Re: Way Too Many Threads & Too Much Spam
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:36 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

hoak wrote:
The Developers of this mod do it as a hobby!

I've worked on six Mod Teams and two commercial games now and I have to tell you; even a professional game Dev Team of thirty, working full time and being paid could not implement a tiny fraction of the suggestions on this forum -- even if the posts were better organized and ledgible.

i think the devs only choose the ones thats really needed to implent in the game,
its good to have allot of threads with different topics, so you can discuss about allot of stuff in the forum, if not, than this forum is just dead, cause there is just not allot of people active on this forum.

and i if posted a thread thats probably never gonna be implented,
doesnt mean we cant talk about it, maybe it will be implented maybe not,
thats up to the devs,

oh and sorry for my bad english, i just dont speak english really fluent.
but i think that my english is not that bad at all,
you understand all my post's right?

*edit*
you should notice that i havent posted any new thread in about 1 week,
and i dont think i will post anymore threads again,
because all these suggestion has been in my head for allong time,
4 ranking system whas officially my final thread,
it would be shame if devs removed all my threads,
and keep in mind that im not spamming,
*edit*

*edit*
and by the way, before i came here on this forum,
this section whas empty,
theres only a single page on this topic section.
the gamplay topic section in the main.forum has about 33 pages.
*edit*

P.S. xeno did you made this thread a sticky thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:26 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

what makes you think this one was a sticky done by me? Im not the olny moderator. I dont nkow how this became a sticky. Maybe the admins or other mods did.

But he is right and he's got a point there. We should aim to shorten all our suggestions into more summarized and easy to understand ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:40 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

euhmm whats the hole point of this???
im not gonna open a new suggestion thread for at least 1 year,
so, there is no need to summarize things,
just leave it the way it is. its not that the hole forum is loaded with the same spam threads or something,

these are just some good threads to discuss about,
so newcomers can search for some good threads to read,

the only thing that bothers allot of people, that allot of threads are mine,
but if 10 people posted 10 different threads, each one posted 1 thread,
whats the difference if all the 10 threads is posted by 1 person?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:58 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

You could start by making most of your threads ummarized to the point. As for your sample images, change the "[img]" to "[url]" so that no body gets download problems. That would be very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:07 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

you mean those paint images?
but most of them are less than 30KB,
if that really opens slowly on your computer,
than you should really go check your hole computer out if theres any virusses or something that slows your connection speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:37 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

those things still take time to load for dialup connection. lucky for me mine is 3mbps cable. And my pc is fine and clean of any virus, adware, spyware whatever you can think of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:12 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Do understand Dragon that forum's like this don't have unlimmited space.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

TC:E/ET username = Silentcrisis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:32 am 
Master
Master

Sorry guys, I don't mean to sound harsh or discourage discussion in any way; BUT: the game design sub-fourm threads resemble IRC logs more then serious and valid game design discussion that a Developer can get anything out of -- they are a patently embarrassing, illiterate mess -- especially for those of you that are native English speakers.

Casual chat, and even hot controversy are great and vital to keeping a forum alive and interesting -- but all the technical forums here are spammed to literal uselessness with garbage posts...

Keep in mind the ultimate loss here is yours; your favorite ideas and posts are as buried here as anyone's.... If you think for a minute that a professional like Coroner, with a Phd., that works sixty plus hours a week, is going to slog through this shit mess that far to frequently reads like it was written by a brain damaged lobotomy cases just to find your shiny pink 'pet wish' so he can work hours coding it into TC:E -- you're dreaming...

If you guys want the design forums to be a useful resource for the True Combat: Elite Developers, that they actually bother reading -- you (no exceptions) are going to have to make more of an effort...

I think it's great that you guys post here, post here a lot -- all of you without exception have good ideas and something to offer. But, where you choose to place these posts -- just isn't working....

The forums need an overhaul and an experienced Moderator.

:!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:17 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

they will get fixed and cleaned up once we get the go from Traumahawk. Ive already plotted out how to fix this. Also, if he says go, I might reformat all the starter posts on every thread so that the titles are all syncronous with the same format, the content for the starter post will be in proper formats. etcetc. Also expect some grammatical corrections and other stuff. For the really long threads, I might archive them into doc or pdf files and link the download as noone would want to read that (especially those that reach 6-9 pages or arguing). The links for the archive will be made available as well and the over all thread will be summarized to its key points.

If traumahawk does say go, then Im gonna need some help cleaning this forum up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:48 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

I actually agree with Hoak. A lot of very intelligent/great topics get buried with spam.

The aim of this forum was to form an intimate group of TCE players and eventually progress into a small community. I think we've achieved that. However, this site is also considered an official TCE site - and that being the case, the occassional dev (minus me) will browse the forum. It would be nice if your very wonderful ideas/thoughts/threads were more easily seen and read.

I'd like to point out one more thing:

Dragonathan wrote:
than you should really go check your hole computer out if theres any virusses or something that slows your connection speed.

That really isn't the point. A lot of people are crippled with poor internet connections (myself included) and don't have the option/means of upgrading to broadband. No one should have to sit here waiting an eternity to load a topic. So, please thumbnail your images. If someone could explain how to do so, I will most gladly sticky it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:31 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Each forum has its own set of rules and most of the forum members comply the rules to a certain level! If the owner is drawing a line that doesn't got observed and followed by his "fans", then sharp reproofs are needed - otherwise such threads are always turning into a mess. Games are usually attracting manly kids and if the tc:elite team is aiming for a target group of 10-13 year olds, then this (throw about with sand - sandbox rulebook) policy is all fine. On the other hand, if they want serious discussions going on and less "I need 20 different color-sets and a couple of images to get my point over" - guys, that are unconvincable, then you need to shut them up in a box. There are enough beings out there, so you don't have to deal with all of them.
---
The Team around Coroner has enough unique and useful ideas on their own for sure. To be serious, the forum is not really needed, apart from bugreports etc. If you look at the whole situation between fans and developers objectively, then all sorts of discussions are mostly useless. Some are quite entertaining to read, others worth to talk about, but almost none of them are really necessary - or new in terms of not beeing thought of by the developers of this game already, respectively laughable and green...

Still opening new threads is no crime, but strong moderators, that act after rules were broken, would make the whole thing more comfortable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:51 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Diane wrote:
I actually agree with Hoak. A lot of very intelligent/great topics get buried with spam.

The aim of this forum was to form an intimate group of TCE players and eventually progress into a small community. I think we've achieved that. However, this site is also considered an official TCE site - and that being the case, the occassional dev (minus me) will browse the forum. It would be nice if your very wonderful ideas/thoughts/threads were more easily seen and read.

I'd like to point out one more thing:

Dragonathan wrote:

That really isn't the point. A lot of people are crippled with poor internet connections (myself included) and don't have the option/means of upgrading to broadband. No one should have to sit here waiting an eternity to load a topic. So, please thumbnail your images. If someone could explain how to do so, I will most gladly sticky it.

Well, you shouldn't really need to thumbnail them. Just put url's or the whole address.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

TC:E/ET username = Silentcrisis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:58 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Thumbnailing them is a good idea. I know how to do in conventionaly, but not dynamicaly of that is even possible. I think what you should do is change the size using code, isnt that right? Someone will have to try tweakng around with BBcode.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next