All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: 2D ANIME/COMIC/MANGA/ CONCEPT ART.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:28 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

i like to some TC:E wallpapers, but with manga/anime/comic style.
so TC:E will have some concept's for the fans to look at,
that would be fun. and evry game always have some concept art,
if the devs hired someone who can create that,
than TT will make one step further towards professionalism,

something like these images:

http://sapphirescar.marsmodule.com/site/content/concepts/concept_bodyguard.jpg
http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/664947/images/metalgearacid_08.jpg
http://christessmer.com/sketches/gallery/2005-3-2.png
http://www.ragingspaniard.com/gallery/concept_art/lab_staff.jpg
http://christessmer.com/sketches/gallery/postit_20040423.jpg
http://www.yankidank.com/gallery/albums/art/1093959529_Barnacle.jpg
http://erikasorson.com/gallery/phosphor/malea_concept.jpg
http://erikasorson.com/gallery/phosphor/female_concept.jpg
http://www.modojo.com/media/games/metal_gear_acid/article.jpg
http://www.hull-breach.com/images/MediaRelease1/character/MWP.jpg
http://xbox360.qj.net/weaponconcepts_2D1_thumb.jpg

just some couple of examples, i really do wanna see TT hire someone who can design some awesome looking 2d/anime concept art. to make some awesome concept art/wallpapers for the fans, and TT also needs one if they want someone to sketch an idea of a model character or map, before they start model it in 3d.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:11 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

just to get things straight, anime are animated cartoons based on japanese manga drawings or comics. manga and anime have a difference but look the same. In TCE's case, a more western concept art look is better. Games like MGS are okay with the magna style art, but TCE, and games like CS and AA are better off with western style concept art. TCE especially will look great in a sketchy dark look showing action and anticipation (Im sure you know what I mean by these if youve taken visual art, cartooning, and animation course before) to thier fullest. Like a skectchy drawing of a CT firing at full auto where his face shows that he is panicking in fear. making use of dark 6b pencils can get the effect done right, but use a hard point pencil to do the face details. If I get a scanner, ill show you what I mean by western concept art. I do ink drawings, either pencil first or directly. I use metal nibs and an ink bottle not ink pens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:22 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

read this post attentively "it" "silentcrisis"
this is what you call a critic, he understands my hole perspective,
so next time please dont post anything stupid, and if you dont understand my hole suggestion/perspective, than just ask it, instead pretending you know exactly what i mean.

XenoKiLLer wrote:
just to get things straight, anime are animated cartoons based on japanese manga drawings or comics. manga and anime have a difference but look the same. In TCE's case, a more western concept art look is better. Games like MGS are okay with the magna style art, but TCE, and games like CS and AA are better off with western style concept art. TCE especially will look great in a sketchy dark look showing action and anticipation (Im sure you know what I mean by these if youve taken visual art, cartooning, and animation course before) to thier fullest. Like a skectchy drawing of a CT firing at full auto where his face shows that he is panicking in fear. making use of dark 6b pencils can get the effect done right, but use a hard point pencil to do the face details. If I get a scanner, ill show you what I mean by western concept art. I do ink drawings, either pencil first or directly. I use metal nibs and an ink bottle not ink pens.

anyways...
@Xenokiller: yess true, western concept art will look good, but with a little bit oriental/manga twist, it still would look good.
like this picture:
http://sapphirescar.marsmodule.com/site ... yguard.jpg
it is a western concept art, with a little bit japenese/manga influence.

but TT need someone who want to make some concept art's for tce voluntarily, it would be nice to see if TC:E has some professional looking concept arts, this increase the "professionalism factor" a bit more though,
evry game has his concept art. allot of professional game designers create a concept art first, before they even model it in 3d.

Last edited by Dragonathan on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:31 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

actually the gordon freeman picture is what best fits TCE. although that one is a direct 3d render done with a real 3d renderer meaning it looks better than ingame, plus it was redone in photoshop or something similar. Check out my signature, compare it to a screenshot of America's Army, see how much different it looks compared to direct in game. The things these programs do can put artists out of business. We can just take a screenshot and make it look like a sketch if we wanted to.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/XenoSilence/AA-02.jpg

I can make this black and white, blur it out a bit, and make its sharpness way too high and itll look like a sketch that I would have made. This picture was a ingame screenshot of AA Rise of a Soldier for the console, after a bit of editing (at approx 60mins), it now looks even better than it normally would. It has wind effect which makes it feel like its moving, plus radial blur which makes it feel like your high above it, then it hs a softglow/bloom which make sthe lighting feel more real. All that done in GIMP, if it was in Photoshop, id bet the filters will be better.

Last edited by XenoKiLLer on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:42 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Just a note: the bickering about the not comic and the entire arguement has been removed for being quite a harasment of each other. The contents of these posts have been archived for future reference and is not available at the forums at the moment. As for these large pictures, I will talk to the admins about the maximum number, resolution, and filesize of images that can be posted by a user per page on a thread (not per post, per "page") to avoid conflicts between large amounts of downloads for dialup users or lower than broadband users.

Last edited by XenoKiLLer on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:53 am 
High Master
High Master

Dragon, do you understand what concept art is?

Concept art is one of the very first things done, before mapping, modeling, programming, anything. It's produced to show what things should look like, and to illustrate ideas.

If something was produced now, it could not, by definition, be concept art.

Also, TCE has no anime/manga slant, so why should any artwork contain it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:55 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

kozak6 wrote:
Concept art is one of the very first things done, before mapping, modeling, programming, anything. It's produced to show what things should look like, and to illustrate ideas.

thats what we were talking about the hole time,
its for the wallpapers and stuff,
read evrything attentively, instead of skipping words/post's.

Last edited by Dragonathan on Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:04 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I guess he must be trying to appeal to the small Japanese TCE community. Im not really the kind of person who draws manga, but Ill hold my critism for the idea until I see some original manga artwork done specifically for TCE. when that becomes available, then we'll see if it fits for sure or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:16 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

XenoKiLLer wrote:
I guess he must be trying to appeal to the small Japanese TCE community. Im not really the kind of person who draws manga, but Ill hold my critism for the idea until I see some original manga artwork done specifically for TCE. when that becomes available, then we'll see if it fits for sure or not.

exactly, but im afraid that wont happen... because is hard to find someone who wants to create manga/comic/concept arts for tce voluntarily,

i do believe that we might see something like what xeno have suggested,
( "edit a realistic picture, and make it look sketchy,handmade" suggestion )

Last edited by Dragonathan on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:20 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

well, I know a couple or so firend of mine who do draw manga art, but since both of em, well most of em are girls who dont really like and arent into soldiers and guns, well thatll be really hard to convince them. I have some friends in the philippines who arent girls, they are okay with the soldiers and guns, but they are rather hard to contact. Well, I guess all we really can do is find someone who can in this forums and ask them to try and make some art for the site. maybe host an art contest for TCE and see if any submission of that sort comes up.

---------------

All the bickering has been cleaned out and is archived. Im going to compress the images posted on this thread to links to avoid download problems on lower end internet connections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:25 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I agree with xeno, if TC:E needs art, western is probably better than japanese. I think the one thing is that TC:E is more based on what MIGHT or COULD happen, as opposed to something like Half-Life.

damn! I had a thought but I lost it!!

oh well, I'll post it later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:23 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

well, im taking a course of computer art (digital art) in school, that should help me improve my work and get some more stuff churning out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:52 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

lol, I took a course like that and dropped it. I was getting 100% just because I learned it at home. :P

I figured that there were more interesting classes I could take to get my technology credit.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

TC:E/ET username = Silentcrisis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:43 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

well, Id take it anyway just to put it on my records and make the rest easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:47 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

counter strike did use some 2D comic art designs too,

but when the the contest is official opened,
you will see some of ALIAS's art, he joined the contest too,

he said he drawed some cool TrueCombat terrorist models, with a cool background,

cant wait to see it :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]