Please donate to keep this site alive!

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: AA 2.7
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:14 am 
High Master
High Master

This article was written by Gamespy

The first version of America's Army was released years ago. Since then it has undergone continuous upgrades that have tweaked the game, added features, and improved the graphics. At this year's E3, the U.S. Army showed off what will be the last two updates for the current version of its free downloadable game. The first is America's Army version 2.7, a huge patch that will finally add cooperative multiplayer into the mix.

The name of this new co-op mode is "Overmatch," and it's been promised for a long time. You and up to 11 of your friends can form up a 12-man Special Forces A-Team. There will be at least two co-op maps available, with at least one including a new drivable, up-armored Humvee with either a .50 caliber machine gun or a Mark 19 automatic grenade launcher mounted on top with the Common Remotely Operated Weapon Station, or CROWS. This is basically a powered turret that lets you operate a weapon via remote control from inside a vehicle. Now you'll be able to safely mow down insurgents from the relative safety of your armored HMMWV.

You and your buddies won't be the only people with a new ride. Enemy AI forces in the co-op mode will have Soviet T-72 tanks and BTR-60 armored personnel carriers. Nothing you carry on your Humvee will put a dent in either of those bad boys, so if you see one you'll have to get out of your ride and take down the enemy unit with an AT4 missile. There will be new training missions to prepare you to use the Humvee and the two new weapons mounted on it.

There will be four levels of AI in the Overmatch mode, ranging from simple "infantry" to "commando." Infantry-level AI will be inconsistent in their actions -- they may surrender while winning a firefight, or run away, or make illogical choices. Meanwhile, commando-level AI will take better shots, make better use of cover, and make your life miserable if you're not on your toes.

The v2.7 update will also include a new "versus" map that takes place in a large cityscape that has been bombed to hell a few times. Looking up is key to survival here because of all the tall buildings clustered closely together. This can be a sniper's paradise thanks to all the potential hiding places.

Another new addition takes place off the field of battle. It's called the Virtual Recruiting Station, and it's exactly what it sounds like. Here you'll walk around a virtual recruiting office to learn more about the Army, see videos of job specialties in the Army, and talk to virtual recreations of real Army heroes. These heroes are each part of America's Army's "Real Hero" program. These guys have all won either a Bronze Star award or higher in actual combat, and now they'll appear in the game to tell you about their exploits and their jobs. As a side note, figurines of these guys are on the way as well. You can also expect to see a whole new user interface to make navigating through the game's features easier.

Version 2.7 of America's Army is due out in July; after that there is one more update, version 2.8, which will be the final update for the current version of America's Army and will include the much-anticipated map editor. After that, development will shift to America's Army version 3.0, which will be a completely new game from the ground up. It's still at least a year off and right now the developers are keeping mum on it, most likely because it's just far too early to discuss. No matter how that turns out, the first game has been a great start.

I just copied and pasted this thanks to GameSpy. I understand this is TC:E but most of us here play AA, so we want to know. :D

And with 3.0, do they mean a fully new game, like still Army right, not some other wacked off thing? I like AA and I don't want it to go away. :cry:

Maybe someday we can see America's Navy, lol. Big guns, woo woo. Oh wait, they did away with the gusn oh well, 5" guns, woo woo. And Harpoon Missles, woo woo again. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:32 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Corrections on that article from a dev in the AA forums known as Pye

From AAO Tracker:

As the subject tells us, [Dev]Pye mentioned in the official forums that v2.7 is going to be a full version download only, that means there won't be a patch from v2.6 to 2.7.

Quote:
quote:
[Dev]Pye wrote
It's going to be a full download.

We done a complete reorganization of the asset and code structure to support other work done by the various groups that are working with the AA code. There is a lot of governmental work that is based of the America's Army game that is largely invisible to the gaming public. In order to support that work we had to make some changes to the way code and assets are labeled, stored, written etc... Because of those changes, it's not really possible to patch the old asset packages without having a "patch" that comes out to nearly the size of a full install. So, unfortunately, there won't be a patch version of 2.7.

In addition to avoid rumor spreading about the release date:

Quote:
quote:
[Dev]Pye wrote
I'll save you the anticipation. It's not July.

Quote:
quote:
[Dev]Pye wrote
If it makes you feel any better, at one point it was set for July. You may infer from that how far or close off it is now.

The final release will be:
Quote:
quote:
[Dev]Pye wrote
Junetober 34th.

Source: Official Forum

-----------------------------

Looks like a Gig up of download... makes no difference to me sinse I never patch I alway uninstall adn download the full new version for best results and no chances of patching errors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:26 pm 
High Master
High Master

Stop ruining it for me, I was all happy, safely in my happy place, and BAM, here came Xeno with his dark cloud of doomy disappointation. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:32 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

well, sorry to break it for you but I always go around with that darn gloomy cloud with me. I dont leave the house without it. It is strange how I do that but then again Xeno is greek for strange/stranger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:43 pm 
High Master
High Master

*grumble grumble*

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:50 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I know I know you dont like AA. If you downloaded 2.6 only to wait for 2.7 you just wasted your time because 2.7 will only be a full installer and no patches will be made, in short 2.7 is a separate game entirely being that even its substruction and directory arrangements are compeltely different. But hey, its still something to look forward to. Its anytime soon within two or three months, TCE049 and Warrock should both be out by then before AA2.7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:05 am 
High Master
High Master

Well hey, usually a full install will get you further, it means they might have more on it. :wink: Plus it should mean ther'll be less chances of a patch mistake making you go download it ALLLLL over again. :D Yeah, three games to look forward to, can't wait. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:53 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Thats the good thing this summer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:17 am 
High Master
High Master

No Abrams though. But no tanks could be a good thing, I don't want AA to turn into BF2 where everyone on the planet knows how to flay a Crobra and drive an Abrams, makes me mad. :evil: But this'll be good, just enough fun to add to it, and omg, I can't wait, map editer, *drools on desk* Which is the final installment not the next one, but ok.

And whats 3.0 going to be like, it's supposed ot be a new game, is it still AA or smoething else the Army has thunked up? :? I said thunked on purpose btw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:52 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Well, they are definetly not going to add tanks and aircraft because they focus on infantry adn what transport infantry, the HMMWV and the Stryker. Althoguh they might have UH-60s with 50cals in the future aswell as call in airstrikes but ofcourse no flying around in those vehicles and crashing them on the enemy's head like in BF.

AA3 is expected to be an exact port of AA2.x maybe having a few new maps or new gameplay features and definetely the graphcis update. Mostly its just the graphics update, I dont really see anythnig that can be new since v3.0 will almost definetely a graphics update, maybe 3.1 will have new features.

By new game, they mean that you can have AA3 and AA2.x installed at the same time, well actually you can have any version of AA installed with anyother version at the same time, supposing you install them on different derectories.

There is really no use to look forward to AA3 because you would obviuosly be waiting for a very long time. In the meantime, it is best to just enjoy AA as it is, to add a new twist of enjoyment, try other maps and new tactics or play styles or just join a clan and compete in tourneys or simply, play it for fun but take it seriously dont fool around by TK-ing or spamming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:38 am 
High Master
High Master

I never TK, unless it's unintentional of course, which is very rare, I am honor 53 and only have like 3000 ROE, which is pretty good, some people I know have over 50K. Go back and play MOUT over anv over again, I really want on that high score list but I just can't seem to get it all. :?

And in 2.7 is there going to be the driver training course for the Humvee, or is that just for the Stryker, I would like to try this without having an arse whipe wanting to drive all the time. :roll: I am really looking forward to these new updates and games coming. And in the next version to AA, theres supposed ot be AN/A Couple AI missions. I would love this because playing against players gets boring, they always know you are coming, but with the AI and setup missions, you'll have that element of supprise, which most of my tactics are based off of, thats why I suck at these online multiplayer games. I am really good at TC:E but peoploe just seem to own me like hell on AA. Heck, on TC:E I got my highest score of 41, highest under that was 9, it was BC of course, I only play OBJ on my clans server, ‡Ü߇. Plus I had no deaths, I picked up like ten guns, lol, most of them were noobs though. :P But yes, AA2.7 should hold me off till AA2.8, plus TC:E is coming out and War Rock will be coming out soon to. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:19 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

The next version will have training for driving the HMMWV and operation of its CROWS heavy machinegun. Other than that training to use the new Javelin antiarmor missile launcher. 2.7 will have two new maps for Overmatch, one featuring drivable vehicles. Also two new regular objective/mission based maps will also be included.

One thing they did not mention is wetehr they will include MOS specific training for SF where you train for specific tasks like 18C or 18D etc.. etc.. I also heard a rumor about SF language training that teaches you parts of the opfor language.

What would be good for the Overmatch coop maps is if you could set the bot numbers to really high numbers, maybe a 52 versus 12, that would look like fun, plus cinematic proportions like Blackhawk Down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:58 am 
High Master
High Master

Hmm, a specific MOS would be nice, it'd be cool to pick up on a new language, I've kind of picked up on some of the things they say, like, uhh, beets or feets or meets ragrada or something like that means frag out. So when I hear that, I run like hell. :lol: Of course I would take 18C, theres going to be a ton of weapons sergeants if they did do this, and I really want to play these AI missions, maybe you could get some guys that take the game seriously and play like a team and not rambo. I just can't wait. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:38 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Well for Overmatch, if you dont stick with the team chances are, youll end up in a 6 to one match and youll probably be dead in 5 seconds or less. Those Opfor shouts are actually of good use to defensive positions, it gives you a headsup if you knew where the sound came from. I believe those shouts mean fragout because what else could they have meant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:28 am 
High Master
High Master

If you listen to them, you can hear things like the directions, north, south etc...etc... So listening to them is very helpful as to what they are doing, I can use them to actualy plan my next move, idiots have no idea what they are getting themselves in to. And as for the mass amounts of enemies in these missions, if it is like a mission, the enemy should not know we are there and therefore we get the ability to go stealthy, sneak in and take them out from inside, the E&E training will actually come in handy. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next