All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Weapons Accessories/Sights/Scope Features
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:56 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Add a contrable zoom, even just a small adjustment

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Summary: Scopes would have a refocus control. Each focus is limited to a certain range or distance. If the sniper were aiming at a target at 300 feet away, then decides to aim at a target 100 feet away, he would have to refocus before being able to see the target clearly.

Quote:
How: There will be a set a focci each with different focus distance preset. When the user decides to change to targets that are closer or further, he would have to refocus. When the refocus key is pressed, it would cycle through the set of focci randomly, giving the intended victim some time to hide. The same goes after taking a shot with bolt action sniper rifles and if the sniper is hit by a flash bang shockwave or falls from a high location.

Quote:
Use: This is to hinder snipers making fair gameplay for all users and all classes.

Last edited by XenoKiLLer on Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:11 am 
Master
Master

i like that idea. like in et where garand sniper rifle you could increase by mouse wheel :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:58 am 
Master
Master

Fine if it's on a rifle scope that actually has the feature, assinine on any that doesn't especially considering that at most of the ranges in TC:E a real Sniper wouldn't even be using a scope...

Δ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:45 am 
Master
Master

Steyr Aug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:03 am 
Master
Master

The Steyr AUG's optics consist of a 1.5X fixed focus scope, it does not have "zoom" or multiple magnification settings -- it's an assault rifle.

Even in its long barrel configurations it's typically configured with a fixed focus scope.

Δ

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:19 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

who said anything about fixed. not all the sniper rifles in game have fixed. adjustable would be better for mid ranged sniping with stronger scopes. since this would increase sniper effieciency, one thing that can be done. when adjusting a lens, you would lose focus, so, the player has to keep moving the focus to change the range(something like clear to blur), this should slow them down

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:34 pm 
High Master
High Master

I don't like it. As long as the sniper rifles are one hit wonders, I am against anything that would improve their efficiency at any range.

I honestly wouldn't mind if the sniper class was removed. They're cheap weapons gameplay wise and grossly inappropriate realism wise.

Also, it seems that the only people that use them are the sort of people that use them in ET. Who knows, maybe they would even be tempted to do something about the objective for once if they couldn't have their sniper rifles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:40 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

i dont use sniper rifle in ET, but i do use it in TCE. now, if you adjust a scope, even just binoc or a telescope, you wouldnt be able to see what you want that easily. the lenses will go out of focus, and you have to adjust it for the range again and again until it comes out correctly. so, how is that helpful to a sniper. its not like they are intentionally going to use that to their advantage, what you were refering to are campers. if you use sniper rifles to spawncamp, then your more of a coward than a soldier. i dont know with the rest of you,i only use the sniper rifle to take out anything that is ahead of my teamates or someone who tries tocamp on my spawn area rooftop.

solution, make zooming in and out more than rolling your mouse wheel. put in some sort of second controls. one can control zoom, the other for focus. and to make it even more complicated for the sniper, put it to something like this. mousewheel to control zoom. pageup and pagedown to control lens focus. so they have to move thier hand over the otherside of the keyboard just to adjust ocus, or else, he cant see a thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:28 am 
Master
Master

Oops...

:oops:

Last edited by hoak on Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:28 am 
Master
Master

kozak6 wrote:
I don't like it. As long as the sniper rifles are one hit wonders, I am against anything that would improve their efficiency at any range.

I honestly wouldn't mind if the sniper class was removed. They're cheap weapons gameplay wise and grossly inappropriate realism wise.

Also, it seems that the only people that use them are the sort of people that use them in ET. Who knows, maybe they would even be tempted to do something about the objective for once if they couldn't have their sniper rifles.

I'm afraid I agree wtih kozak6, he hits it all on the head and does so succinctly.

Magic zoom, and even sniper rifles and scopes on the current bevy of TC:E maps are not in the least realistic. More over the limitations of the id Software/ET engine make sniper weapons unrealistically easy for a double whammy of "lameness" that even in the most arcade fantasy game design is annoying to say the least.

Unless or until TC:E Level Designers come up with some very large maps that scale to and offer a resonable mission context for a sniper weapon, and the sniper weapons include some realistic control metrics to make them the unwieldly weapons they really are; I'd be pleased as well to see them completely ditched as they add very little in their present form to the game...

The fact that the sniper rifles can and far to frequently are used like shotguns in TC:E and with a little practice are more potent then a shotgun, assault rifle and have the most precise aim machinery in the game -- just takes their lack of realism to an even lower level...

Δ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:58 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

ok then. well, if your keeping the niper weapons, you might aswell fix the controls just to make it realisticaly harder to use a sniper rifle. maybe having a visibility limit, so the sniper has to refocus when sniping targets futher down range. (when looking at someone for example, around 200meter, then you suddenly change targets to someone 500meters away, to scope isnt focus yet, so, its going to slow down the sniper a litle bit, since he still has to refocus)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:41 pm 
Master
Master

Adding a "zoom" feature to rifles and scopes that are not normally equiped with that feature, in a game that doesn't even have distances that require a scope can't make it "realistically harder" as it's a feature that is neither particularly realistic or that makes sniping harder...

It sounds like it's just a 'pet feature' you like a lot XenoKiLLer, not that there's anything wrong with that, and you may even get your wish as TC:E hardly seems to be developed along clear objective design plan... But there does appear to be more of an emphasis on realism and objectively based game design, and in that event you'll probably get farther if you pick a rifle and scope that actually have the feature, and insist for the sake of consistancy the weapon in the game emulates it real world counterpart...

I'd much rather see features implemented on the sniper rifles that makes them realistic, and require more realistic skill; to wit:

· no aiming when walking at all, or gross scope vection
· gross scope vection standing
· a breath hold key to stabilize the weapon momentarily only
· realistic recoil that kicks you out of aimed view
· optics that fog up and get wet on rain maps
· bullet drop (does not require projectile code)
· wind & windage (a Map var Level Desingers could add to make sniping more difficult)

These are simple features to add that are vastly more realistic, would make sniping a challenge that requires a more realistic scale skill set, and more fun to those that actually like challenge that more in line with reality...

Δ

Post subject: k
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:09 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

i meant, not add zoom anymore. instead, add focus. all those things you said plus a focus. when you look at thing from diff distances, you can only focus on one thing at a time, so you have to refocus. that would and should make it harder for snipers to shoot a target moving away in speed. or even switch targets all of a sudden after a kill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:01 pm 
Master
Master

Ah! Now that, is an EXCELLENT idea! Be quite the trick to excute realistically, but it could be just a simple blur effect that takes time to adjust and isn't actually scale "Z" focus -- doing "Z Focus" would be really code intensive -- but wow that's one of the best game design suggestions I've heard in ages!

:D

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:08 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next