All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Realistic/Persistent Magazine
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:34 am 
Master
Master

Red Orchestra and SWAT 4 are two games that correctly implement ammmunition use, magazine capacity, ammunition count, and reloading.

Both games use different HUD display techniques, but have the same implementation of persistent magazines; where by way of example if you fire 15 rounds from a full 20 round magazine and switch, you'll have one magazine that still had five rounds available that can be switched back to; all magazines (they're not "clips") perform the same way, so you can have several partially full magazines near the end of a round or mission that could if needed be used.

SWAT 4 has a persistent display that shows you all the magazines at once in a relative display rather like TrueCombt 0.45 where you don't get exact bullet counts for any but the loaded magazine; Red Orchestra tells you how heavy the magazine is that you've just removed from your weapon based on how much ammunition is still in it. Both implementations of the same concept play very well...

A hybrid implementation that employs 0.45 realtive magazine display, persistant magazines, and a multiple magazine display that was only visible when you initatiated a magazine change would be a nice step up from either game and where TC:E is currently.

Some may feel that technical features like this are trivial, but this in fact has a substantial and very positive effect on game-play that makes fire-control and ammunition a much more deliberate act by realistic necessity...

Δ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:15 pm 
Expert
Expert

That´s definitley a point. I like the fact that TC:E does not "accumulate" rounds if you change a magazine (some older games did). But loosing 1/3 mag forever just because I want to change to a new one after a firefight (as long as I can afford the "luxury" of having a complete mag), isn´t realistic at all. Even now, since the new models get multiple bags etc., we can assume that a SpecOp would save his magazine for later use.

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:43 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

plus, perhaps allow picking up a magazine if it is droped. and carriying an extra primary weapon (pickup) and even drop it for a friend whos out of ammo. (like in americas army)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:14 am 
Master
Master

in RO when you swapped mags itd say mag is light or mag is heavy. heavy=half left;light=less than half. the realistic thing about ro, i might add, is that after a few seconds your rifle/smg/pistol will sway and drift all over teh place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:00 am 
Master
Master

Yup, RO has a mighty fine magazine implementation... Loved that mod, and working on the RO Dev Team...

Δ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:16 am 
Master
Master

SPY!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:11 am 
Master
Master

Eh?

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:57 am 
Master
Master

you said you were workin on the ro dev team.. SPY!!!! :mrgreen: [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:16 pm 
Master
Master

Oh, quit long time ago... Many of the original RO Dev Team are now working on Insurgency; but I'm not currently working on either project.

As far as "spying" -- TT, Groove Six, and Fuze have gotten more game design, and reference information from me for free then the other way around... It's rather laughable as well as some of them freak out at my suggestions, get hostile, and now they're ideas that are part of the game; go figure...

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:15 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

That Insurgency makes me want to run in my hampster wheel all day getting in shape so when it comes out I can run wild in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:05 pm 
Master
Master

Yes beyond a doubt it will be a great mod with such talented and committed people behind it. It may be a while before we see a playable game, but anyone that thinks it's taking too long need look no further then Red Orchestra where the same core talent was working on that mod for nearly four years, and went through three engine changes before RO was released -- the results speak volumes.

I doubt it will be four years before we see Insurgency, the team is very pleased with the results they're getting on HL2 and progress is steady... But ike Red Orchestra I feel Insurgency will be a Mod that will justify buying the game it rides on for those that aren't interested in the Half-Life 2 game theme; just like hundreds of Fans purchased Unreal Tournament 2004 to play Red Orchestra...

I think it's absolutely GREAT that Mod Teams are building total conversions like Insurgency, Red Orchestra, and Mods like the Project Reality, just when Ubisoft is totally dropping the ball with the "Clancy™ Franchise" -- recreating some of the Community and Developer/Fan interaction that made the Clancy™ games so stellar in their time, and such standard setters of scale tactical realism.

Δ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:47 am 
Master
Master

just a couple games i am waiting for: rainbow six: lockdown(dunno if its out yet but it says in sep2005!!!), splinter cell 4(which doesnt have a name yet)
envy(aka unreal tournament2007) halo3(never played that but sure lo0ks friggin awesome) half life 3(not the aftermath, the 3rd game) and a few other lil games, like king kong and splintercell for psp..
DAMN I CANNOT WAIT ANY LONGER!! ARGHHH!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:38 am 
Master
Master

No poop/scoop on how TC:E is gonna manage magazines?

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:54 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

This may sound a bit odd, but since we have about 3 magazines in total, then it could work like this: press "r" and number 1-3 to switch any of this magazines. If a new round has started, then you can reload and put the already used mag to your inventory... Later on, when all hell broke loose and if you have no ammo left (+no weapon on the ground), then you could press "r" and "1" to switch back to the first one. If you only hit "r" then you would only cycle between full mags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:38 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

hmm... yes, it would be much better than cycling through a magazine that is still half-full, or to Dragon half-empty (jk), and waste 15 shots which could get you 2-3 kills.

I like the idea don. :D

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

TC:E/ET username = Silentcrisis

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next