All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: another PS3 thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:13 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

just read it a few seconds ago, and here it is, John Carmack of id software on PS3 Vs. 360 from the developers side: (link to article, page where this part is in)

Quote:
GI: You talked a lot about the Xbox 360. What are your thoughts on the PlayStation 3 now that you’ve had more time on it?

Carmack: We’ve got our PlayStation 3 dev kits, and we’ve got our code compiling on it. I do intend to do a simultaneous release on it. But the honest truth is that Microsoft dev tools are so much better than Sony’s. We expect to keep in mind the issues of bringing this up on the PlayStation 3. But we’re not going to do much until we’re at the point where we need to bring it up to spec on the PlayStation 3. We’ll probably do that two or three times during the major development schedule. It’s not something we’re going to try and keep in-step with us. None of my opinions have really changed on that. I think the decision to use an asymmetric CPU by Sony was a wrong one. There are aspects that could make it a winning decision, but they’re not helpful to the developers. If they make the developers say that Sony is going to own the main marketplace, let’s make them develop toward this and build it this way, it would somewhat downplay the benefits of the Xbox 360 and play to the PlayStation 3’s strengths. I suspect they’re not going to overwhelmingly crush the marketplace this time, which wasn’t clear a year ago. A lot of people were thinking it’s going to be a rerun of the last generation, and it’s now looking like it might not be. I’ve been pulling for Microsoft, because I think they’ve done a better job for development support, and I think they have made somewhat smarter decisions on the platform. It’s not like the PlayStation 3 is a piece of junk or anything. I was not a fan of the PlayStation 2 and the way its architecture was set up. With the PlayStation 3, it’s not even that it’s ugly--they just took a design decision that wasn’t the best from a development standpoint.

key quotes:
Quote:
But the honest truth is that Microsoft dev tools are so much better than Sony’s. We expect to keep in mind the issues of bringing this up on the PlayStation 3.

Quote:
I think the decision to use an asymmetric CPU by Sony was a wrong one.

Quote:
I suspect they’re (sony) not going to overwhelmingly crush the marketplace this time, which wasn’t clear a year ago.

Quote:
I’ve been pulling for Microsoft, because I think they’ve done a better job for development support, and I think they have made somewhat smarter decisions on the platform

Quote:
It’s not like the PlayStation 3 is a piece of junk or anything...With the PlayStation 3, it’s not even that it’s ugly--they just took a design decision that wasn’t the best from a development standpoint.

what it basically means:
the PS3 is less user-friendly to develop on (in his opinion), and it is still a good system, it just has flaws. and due to that, because of simultaneous releases, expect to see 360 games pushed back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:38 am 
High Master
High Master

I'm thinking of figuring out Linux just so I can wipe Microsoft's idiotic "call us stupid" stuff off my computer. -.-

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]