All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 TC:E NextGen edition !!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:50 pm 
Expert
Expert

Oh, you two... Here's the key to room 113A, first floor, has a french bed, have fun.

paul

Obvious troll is obvious.

Seriously though, those pictures look real nice. I'm wondering what are the guns rendered with. V-ray? Cycles?

Now about that Linux port: If Ceasar here is ever lucky enough to come across a man by the name Ryan Gordon, who created the Linux port of Dungeon Defenders, which uses UE3, we might get this game on Linux.

About SteamOS: Our Lord, Gabe Newell, has expressed his hatred towards Windows 8, therefor he aims for the so far free Linux market. SteamOS is a Linux based OS, which will be able to to stream the game from your PC - which is too big and has no place in the living room - to your little Steam Machine that will be sitting next to your TV. Furthermore, it will be also able to run any game you want. So if you don't have a powerful PC, you just buy a more powerful version of the Steam Machine (or Steam Box). I don't know yet whether that OS has a compatibility layer for Windows+DirectX based graphic applications or something like that, but it is supposed to run everything. I didn't get into the alpha of Steam Machines, so I'm not sure. You might want to read up on that yourself.

The way I understand, if you have a different Linux (e.g. Ubuntu) you are also good to go, you don't need SteamOS. Steam is supposed to set up everything for you (e.g. Right now Steam automatically installs and sets up DosBox for you in case you want to play really old games, or so I've heard).

The Steam Machine itself is basically just a PC with SteamOS installed on it, but you can put Windows or Ubuntu on it too. It's a pure PC, no need to be afraid of it.
#MasterRace

For now we know that UE3 does have an OpenGL render, berried somewhere in the deepest depths of the internetz. It uses SDL 2.0.

And ummm... there was another thing I wanted to mention, but I forget, I post whenever it comes to my mind again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hi Kris,
Luckily I'm not completely working alone on this, albeit that the crew on this particular
project is very small. Additionally we use two apprentices that do need a lot of guidance,
yet are well willing and do a lot of work that saves the rest a lot of time. Had to gather a
team from scratch, left my sponsor a while ago so it's like a fresh start. Needed to adapt
to all kinds of changing circumstances a lot during the process, but still having fun doing it
all. The approach might be unconventional but as long as it doesn't take years to finish and
we'll still have fun doing it each step of the way, I'm good.

During the years I've collected a fair share of models, textures and sounds. When I first
contemplated doing the development of this game I went through my content library with a
list of models used in TC and found 95%+ matching models. I knew I couldn't bring anything
in from the project we were working on with the sponsor, so that 95% made me confident
enough to start development. Down the way we got a massive content injection from people
who not only want Tango Down happening, they also wanted to see our Red line characters
animated. See your DMs for two examples. The library helps a lot in terms of content, but as
you pointed out, still need to fill in other gaps that simply can't be bought or downloaded.
I've gotten a lot of help from others, like with the base for the day-night cycle and weather
system and I'm very thankful for that.

When working on a free game, while doing a few other projects ont the side, has it's pros
and cons and certainly has it's limitations. Overcoming those limitations is a challenge and
I do love me a good challenge, makes things more exciting and is rather educational.

I ran into some of your works a few days before you posted in this tread, one of the
forum members gave me a link. cool coinsidense or awesome customer support ?
I downloaded your freelook pack, only had little time to look into the code though.
Your comments in code do make it more pleasant to read it all, though. Since I didn't
install the Face Api it throws some errors, but going to connect alt-mouse as source for
free aim. I like the gun collision feature, would force players to select their guns a lot better
(No more 50cal snipers indoors, in close quarters situations the feature just makes sense).

The linux issue
Guys, the Linux issue is something worth a seperate post, but I can only be conclusive
about this after we have finished a few more tests and after the Epic guys return our mail.
I will go deeper into the Linux matter later.

Quote:
Oh, you two... Here's the key to room 113A, first floor, has a french bed, have fun.
Can we haz penthouse ? I like heights and shady railings. I brought lube for butthurt ;-)

Dev Update ::
Sparkley things ;-)
Reworked smoke puff from barrel when gun fires, still need to add animated nudges when
switching firemodes. Also added two new muzzle flashes. Fiddling around with water splashes
(when shooting it and running through it, still need some tweaks on that one. Made an
ocean shader, but needs to be tweaked some more. Think I'm just about satisfied with snow
and rain drops, haven't done built ups yet nor splashes yet, though already looks a lot nicer
with 'clouds' movements through them. Throwing nade (over head) is now less sissy like but
still not perfect, smoke nades also getting there, still not perfect. Realistic damage system
(get shot in the leg, walk cycle changes to limping, get shot in arm and accuracy changes) is
still not like I want, but I'll be patient (Get R done, Marco). Already working on replacing the
health bar and changing it for bloodspatter on the screen, much like COD and CQB. Did a
little work on a cinematic intro with indie horrorist mr Price (Thanks for making time,Alex).

Not bad for a few days work, taking into consideration I also changed my car's
braking system for the first time. Reader, for your own safety : don't buy a green
car from a dutch guy ;-o

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:16 pm 
Expert
Expert

Killed my main laptop, the fan is not working anymore, no screen,
so I guess it's safe to assume I killed the processor....

Laptop:Tango Down

Current laptop is 32bit, so for the next days no Modo,Maya or Motionbuilder for me ;-((( Kinda bummed out by this.

I've never been so happy that it was the processor dying instead of something far more
important : the harddrive. Downside is that I need to wait to update the code my chat
app until the replacement I ordered gets here. Also didn't save the updated particle
effects for the smoke grenade to the central storage yet, so redoing those and need to
redo the changes I made on KrisRedbeard's code for free-look and weapon collision.

Lot of work going into Environmental Shaders & particle systems aka Mother nature's
shaders like Wind, water, fire, rain, snow and mist and their influences on the world
(wet streets with reflection of light, moving plants and leaves swaying in the wind, snow
building up, etc). Sometimes it's the small details that matter, when I first put the 'moving'
trees that ship with UDK into the GS map, I couldn't stop looking at it. Seeing the
environment come to life as it were, is amazing. Each time we put something new into
'mother nature' it just elevates the look of the map.

Busy now on some vertex blending shaders and I gotta say : AHHHHHHHHHHH
If you want to have full control over these shaders, the scheme of boxes often rises to 100.
Then again, if the shader is done all it needs to be applied with different texturemaps is a
click or two.

Thanks to Alex, our horror producer, the list of shaders has grown 'somewhat', due to
what's going to depicted in the intro of the game. Not to mention that ALL the movements
in the intro are going to be motion captured and are not in the range of what we already
captured/got in stock. Although I said no story will be put in cutscenes or intro.... The
intro is a full 2:25 of story telling about the history of True Combat... the emphasis is not
so much on the game itself, more on who was behind it ;-)

A cinematic Homage to Team Terminator's 'fallen' members ?

We do credits in a very special way

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

Fiddling around with a converter with fellow coder NaughtyNight,
BSP/MAP file to T3D so it can be read by the Unreal Engine.

Btw who can help me to these maps :

dem_ROC (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE)
dem_subway

Thanks to Gotan from Japan, I just got these puppies + then some ::
dem_school
dem_ship

Great news, my new server is here next thursday ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

Northport building geometry: Done
Others will follow soon, we finished a lot of buildings this week.
Can't do an alpha release with just one or two maps, now can we ?

Made something of a definite list of maps that we're going to use, lots of emails to write to
the people who originally made them. Yes, there will also be original maps, working on
one with an suburban setting atm, all buildings on that map have been modelled from
blueprints of real houses.

Geometrics of buildings is just one of the stages of map making. UV maps (in GTK it's
textures) are also an important part of the process, seams have to be marked where diffuse
map and lightmap will come. We haz a minion for that, so I'm on to the next one as they say.

Villa and Snow are in progress by others, so the choice is starting to get limited.

Almost done with the geometry of the buildings for the intro, lifting a tip of the veil: a big
part of Stadtrand is done and ready to be visited by a ghostly apparation ;-) She will
reap havoc on this map, ripping out stones, setting cars a blaze. Who will the apparation of
the Terminator angel be coming for ?

She sounds like a sad angel, doesn't she...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMalfeNBdw4
Aphelion by Jesper Kyd (thank you mr Alex Price for licensing this track)

All buildings of Northport are in, can't wait until UVs and lightmaps is done on this one. Specially big red is something I want to give some special TLC to

Big red

Uninteresting screenshot of the outside of the big building on Stadtrand, will show new ones
when all buildings are in UDK and on the map. Ps : NO, none of the destruction used in the
intro will be used ingame. For the destruction in the intro, the front of this building alone will
count 50K+ verts, instead of the current 1630 for the whole thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:41 pm 
Expert
Expert

Gave the procedural city generator a lot of thought too, added some code, but it's not
nearly done. Goal is to code the creation of a procedural 3D city that can be used in games.
What determines where a certain building goes ? a tall businessbuilding is not something
you plant in a row of houses in a suburban residential for example. Each building is
indexed by style and function so our code knows where to plant where, but still a lot of
'obstacles' to go before it's really functional. Exciting project though.

Fiddled around with my social media app, made some code adjustments to save some
milliseconds processing power. Server code needs to be optimized to a T. Might be
crucial if the server needs to handle thousands of messages per second. Got 6 boxes
setup to simulate traffic to the server, there's definitely some message types my
app uses that are heavy on the server, need to tweak it into oblivion. Still very proud
of the app in graphical terms, leaving services like Twitter and Facebook FAR FAR behind.
Timelines on those services look boring ;-) I just love HTML5 and canvas, you can make
such nice things with it.

Back to Tango Down.

Maps, Maps, maps
For us it starts at a 1 on 1 conversion of the map, it gets cut into pieces, building
by building. Then we rebuilt all buildings with geometry next-gen engines work with and
place them back onto the original location on the map. Steps like adding the game models
and materials come afterwards. For some maps a 1 on 1 conversion works, for others it
just won't.

For me, Goldmann systems map is one that deserves a bit more geometry and finish on the
sides of the map. Views from balconies and roofs don't need to be inifinite, but sure could
use a lot of love....and that will take some time to perfect. An one on one conversion just
doesn't work on this map. Other maps like Villa, Slums or Northport are pretty straight
forward, I like that.

For Tango Down we want to make sure we can fulfill promises to gamers, that also means
delivering maps on regular intervals. With a planned minimum of 4 maps every 3-6 months
I think we can keep gamers very happy ;-) It's definitely sustainable with a small crew.
Some maps might take longer than others (duhh), but that's a matter of planning ahead.
Going to the procedure of learning others how to map with a program they've never worked
with before(GTK-> Blender) makes me a lot more comfortable to do a series of tutorials
to go with the MDK included with Tango Down. Personally, using Blender in combination with
GTKradiant to map for TC isn't a bad idea... Blender has a .map output anyway...

The rest of december will be all about maps, maps and more maps....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:10 pm 
Expert
Expert

:cheers:

Merry Christmas Caesar, and keep this direction! it's nice to see you making progress.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:12 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

DennerBR wrote:
it's nice to see you making progress.

I don't see anything.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:05 pm 
Master
Master

paul wrote:
DennerBR wrote:
it's nice to see you making progress.

I don't see anything.

Agree.

Even if you are going to release something soon, no consideration has been taken, no permission asked, and you certainly have not taken what TC players would like and want into consideration. you say you lost you sponser, sponser for what, what was the original aim for 'Tango Down'. You are rude and have no time for any TC developers, its just YOU and YOUR team. and if you want to try and be clever with me then bring it. because i dont take fools easily.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:21 am 
Marksman
Marksman

-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:29 am 
Expert
Expert

Recalque...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:35 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Yeah, I hope this is for real… someday. But also no word from Coroner on his standalone for a long time… and other cheap/free games popping out everywhere…
Imagine how big TC:E could have become with a free standalone version 3 years ago…

I tried other similar games. For example COD4 (Hardcore/Promod) etc. but while they still have a big user base, the shooting through walls, nade spamming, "overall feeling" and stuff prevents me from enjoying it.

Anyone tried Insurgency?
I recently bought it on Steam (a new standalone version, not the HL2 Mod), and I have to say I like it very much. It comes more close to TC:E than every other game I played - it's still Early Access, so I guess it will have some nice features added in the near future…
I even met some people from the old TC:E days there, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:17 pm 
Expert
Expert

Heisenberg wrote:
Anyone tried Insurgency?... It comes more close to TC:E than every other game I played...

+1

My impression too. Even the RPG present in all classes, it needs to be "bought" after the player earn some points in some rounds, but I became a regular player of this game just because it is very similar to TCE IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:38 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hey hey hey guys n gals
Best wishes for 2014 !

Sorry it took so long to update ;-(
WHYYYYY ?

Well,

I can haz tiny vacation/ time off too ?

* Extended my Artificial Intel program with a staggering 217.832 lines of code
with thanks to NaughtyNight, the first person I shared the code with in 5 years
since I made the software. Thank you Jeffrey for helping me built the psychology
mod that makes my program completely unique (I owe you bigtime Doc)

You have no idea how good it feels finishing something that has been in the works
for the last 5 years *Sigh*

* While fiddling on Northport, I came up with Westport, a new map. Think the layout
of buildings is now final, only have to work out the details.
Northport MASSIVELY differs from the screenshots you already saw from the
Goldmann systems map... I want to put the emphasis on Next Generation and the
screens from GS don't do that vision much justice, the new ones from Northport
however...a lot more.

* We had 1 person handling UV mapping, had to learn the whole crew how to do it,
took a bit of time too. Me teaching it to others, gives me a good way of also
teaching it in a very easy way to all of you. EVEN if you have o,0 experience
with Blender, I think I found a way to make it very easy to learn.

Sorry guys, I value teaching others very much as I think it will benefit the
whole community if it's explained in such a clear way youll understand it
from the get go and so you won't run into silly problems that you have
to Google to get solved. We could teach you very selfishly to model only
for Tango Down, but I'm putting a little effort in so you can also use our
techniques to map for True Combat, which in the end will result in better
looking maps.

* 62 buildings added to the travian like game, think there's enough content
now to finally start finishing the f*cker.

Also would like to thank David for the gun sounds he recorded at the
shooting range, they need some editing, but DAYUM... awesome work David !

Will post the screenshot made on Northport that we're going to use for
the load screen in a few days, still dotting the I's on bloom, DOF and
the sun color atm.

grtz,
Caesar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:27 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

DennerBR wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Anyone tried Insurgency?... It comes more close to TC:E than every other game I played...

+1

My impression too. Even the RPG present in all classes, it needs to be "bought" after the player earn some points in some rounds, but I became a regular player of this game just because it is very similar to TCE IMO.

They updated the game and the classes now, so the RPG is very limited. I like it that way.
Also they set the release date to Jan 22, 2014 :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next