All times are UTC

Post subject: Setting up a linux server
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:39 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Hi,

The linux support page refered me here so here is a copy/paste:

I'd also like to set up a linux server (for True Combat Elite) but am clueless. Is there a server package and if so where can I download it? Or does it require the normal packages? What are the system requirements for a server?
Such are the questions I ponder.

As I'm only just starting to grasp the basics of Bash and such, a link (which I couldn't find) to a small baby steps How-To for this or other morron proof help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
hm

Ps: If this is also is not the right section please forgive me for trying and ignore this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:02 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

currently we are at a lack of limux experts here. but I can answer your question about the servers. The server only requires you to have Wolfenstein Enemy Territory 2.55 full version (free, you can download here), adn its patch, 2.6, then the latest TCE full install and patch, just like a normal installation of TCE. Other maps are third party addons and they can be aquired from www.eclipse-esports.com, I may have gotten the link wrong, its in the site somewhere. But, dont bother about 3rd party maps since when the new TCE version comes out, these third party maps are nolonger supported. The requirements to run a server on your own pc while playing are a bit higher, most important thing is a dualcore processor if you plan to host and play on the same machine. Ofcourse more ram as you will be transferring player information back and forth. The best solution to server hosting is to rent a dedicated server. Go to the severs section of the TCE.US forums and ask around for a good deal, someone here may know somewhere you can rent a cheap, but usefull dedicated server.

Your in the right section, you are having trouble with setting up a server, then your in the right place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:42 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Cool, thanks XK, I'll give it a shot. Btw, this is for dedicated server that's also my firewall, web/ftp server and so on. guess I'll just have to try if it's fast enough. Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:31 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

sure it will. You can try it with max out number of palyers first, try it at 32 players. If it laggs, turn the player number down to 26, and so on until you get the best possible game play. I would recomment 26 players as a standard becasue that will be the maximum number of players for v049's objective missions and 26 players are not really expected to cause any lagg for any server. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:53 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Do you already have Linux installed and running? If so I could probably help ya out.

First you'll need to install Enemy Territory and the Patch. You'll have to hunt around online for these. Basically, you make the files executable and then run them in commandline. Follow the directions. Pretty simple.

Then grab the True Combat installer and run that. I'm sure there's guides online for setting up a dedicated server. Try the Linux Support forum on the main TC website. They have what you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:04 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

before going to all that trouble, you may want to just play ET for a while because TCE's next version is comnig anytime soon and you wouldnt want to go to all the trouble removing version 048 to install 049 which renders everything (third party maps and minimods) from 048 obsolete and unusable.